Sign in to follow this  
10X

Ammo and component availability in NY and VT (I spot checked a few shops)

I drove up to Vermont to ski this past weekend, and before making the trip I searched for gun shops all along the route--figuring I'd stop at a few if they weren't more than a mile or three out of my way. I figured the picture would be grim in NY, but maybe better in VT, which turned out to not really be the case, but for the most part I was only able to hit major chains. What I found was pretty consistent with what others have reported elsewhere.

Gander Mountain, Kingston, NY. Pretty good availability of shotgun ammo, and at least for the target grade the prices seemed to be the same as before the craziness. Got some trap rounds for $5.99 box, though the AA and Rem STS trap loads were in the $8-$10 range. All in stock, along with a lot of hunting loads. Seemed to be a fair bit of rifle ammo on the shelves, not much pistol ammo, and no .22 LR. Gun racks seemed pretty full, but I didn't pay attention to what, specifically, they had in stock. They don't sell reloading components.

Zacks gun shop in Round Lake, NY. Rifle racks and pistol display cases seemed pretty full, but again I wasn't paying much attention to specific models or prices. Fair bit of ammo for both rifle and pistol, but prices seemed on the high side. Didn't see any .22, but didn't ask. They had large magnum pistol primers (no standard) but wanted $45 per thousand, some lead shot, also very expensive, at $54/bag (from Peru! Lead must be really cheap there for the economics of shipping to make sense), and some 12 ga wads at a more reasonable $11/500. They had a moderate selection of powders, but the ones I asked about (bullseye, red dot) were $30/lb. They had a lot of magazines, mostly for handguns, on hand, but I didn't pay much attention to specifics. Pretty good selection of SKS speedloaders, which have been hard to find online. $10 each, which is what Midway has been charing.

The Walmart in Rutland, VT was nearly cleaned out. A small amount of shotgun ammo, no .22, handful of firearms.

Dicks Sporting goods in Rutland had good availability of shotgun ammo, both target and hunting. Big sale on some of the hunting ammo. As far as I could tell, list prices were exactly the same as in NJ. Guns on the racks. No .22 ammo. One lonely box of 100 209 shotshell primers.

At least the skiing was great...

I was up in Killington a couple weeks ago. I only hit up Walmart, and of course there was nothing.

I was in Bath/Brunswick Maine for the last two weeks. Made numerous trips to the Walmart in Brunswick; only shot gun ammo was found. Went to Cabelas on Sunday and they were sold out(they had tons of 30 round mags though which I was suprised at). On our way home today we dropped in for the hell of it. Found some PMC .45 ACP and .223. $23.99 and $9.99 respectively limit five in total. I grabbed two .45 boxes and three .223; also signed up for the Cabelas card and got $20 off.