Teky0101

Budget Bolt Action Rem 783 or Savage Axis 2?

Hello Everyone,

I have been looking to purchase a budget rifle and I came across the Remington 783 and the Savage Axis 2. I was wondering which rifle would be the best choice for long range accurate target shooting. The Remington would be in 30-06 and the Axis .308. Also which caliber out of these two would reach out further? Thank you for your help!

I have the 783, and like it. Haven't shot it yet, but I can tell you that the fit and finish is nice for a sub 400 dollar gun.

Things to consider with the 783:

It needs 2 front rail segments for a 700 to mount a scope to.

It doesn't weigh much, so recoil from 30-06 might be a little rough, even with the recoil pad.

But it does have a free float barrel so you have that too.

If you want to check it out, let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Recon Racoon,

I apologize for getting back to you late. I actually just picked up the 783 at Dicks Sporting Good yesterday. They were running an AMAZING SALE you can get the entire rifle after a $75 rebate for $300 dollars. You cannot beat that! Did you ever get a chance to shoot your rifle yet? If so, what type of ammo did you use? I picked up a box of Remington Core-Lock 220 grain at Cabelas the other day. I hear that its great ammo according to the reviews. I also purchased scope rings from CDNN. They are new and act as a base for the 783 in addition to a ring. I plan on mounting my Truglo 12x illuminated scope on their, its should be amazing! I am truly looking forward to getting it all setup and getting out to the range. What do you use your firearm for do you hunt or just shoot targets? I hope to hear back from you soon!

Teky what are to using the gun for 220 gr 30/06 tends tone a very heavy for caliber bullet and has a rainbow trajectory. They are a great hunting bullet for bear and bigger game but for target shooting not so much for 30/06 I usually stick to the 150-165 range IMO best for general target shooting and wind bucking if you are looking to reach out long distance.

I haven't had a chance yet lol

Work schedule has been messed up since we lost hours, and my weekends off are spent catching up on around the house projects.

I went the .308 route. Picked it up last November for about 325 after background from dicks over in Christiana. I have like 5-6 boxes of mixed brands. Remington, PMC, and privi. It's all 150 grn FMJ so it's all just target shooting ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purchased the gun mostly for distance target shooting but the 220gr ammo to have a fun day at the range. I never shot that grain before. I also hear its a fantastic hunting round out to about 160 yards.

220 grain will take any animal in North America (most guides would not like you using it for grizzly bear) and you can probably stretch that put more (depending in user skill) but yeah it is a great put them down round. Also don't forget the 220 is going to have a little more recoil. Bigger bullet bigger pushback :)

Recon Racoon,

I am sorry to hear about your hours being cut! NJ is a horrible state for employment. Believe me I have been working freelance jobs for year and nothing has truly worked to obtain permanent employment. It is so frustrating! When you get out to the range I would truly enjoy hearing a range report and group sizes. Thank you again!

Mikeythumbs,

Thank you for the reply. I am curious why do guides not want you to use large grain bullets for bear? Do they not penetrate the hide? It might be odd but I kind of like the kick sometimes with rifles since unlike .22's it feels like I am shooting a real gun lol!

Recon Racoon,

I am sorry to hear about your hours being cut! NJ is a horrible state for employment. Believe me I have been working freelance jobs for year and nothing has truly worked to obtain permanent employment. It is so frustrating! When you get out to the range I would truly enjoy hearing a range report and group sizes. Thank you again!

Mikeythumbs,

Thank you for the reply. I am curious why do guides not want you to use large grain bullets for bear? Do they not penetrate the hide? It might be odd but I kind of like the kick sometimes with rifles since unlike .22's it feels like I am shooting a real gun lol!

Most guides typically want something larger than 30-06 for grizz.  Some feel that 300 WM is about the smallest round you should use and there are some that recommend .375 or larger.  The reasoning is that since bear have a thick hide and a fair layer of fat that you need a larger diameter bullet in order to get a good blood trail, anything smaller tends to clog or clot right up.

Most guides typically want something larger than 30-06 for grizz.  Some feel that 300 WM is about the smallest round you should use and there are some that recommend .375 or larger.  The reasoning is that since bear have a thick hide and a fair layer of fat that you need a larger diameter bullet in order to get a good blood trail, anything smaller tends to clog or clot right up.

That was pretty much going to be my answer just said better than I would have :)

Did not know that! Thank you for the info. So I would need a larger caliber for bear? Is there any grain bullet that will work?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

30-06 is fine for black bear, you should look at a larger caliber for grizzlies and brown bear.  I would also guess that 30-06 would work on smaller grizz as well, or at least that is what I have been told.