Sign in to follow this  
Scrap

New civilian models from Kalashnikov Concern

Many I'm sure already read The Firearm Blog so have no need of this post but others may find it very interesting:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/06/19/new-kalashnikov-concern-civilian-balanced-recoil-ak-107s-saiga-9mm-new-12-gauge/

It doesn't really get into specifics for the US market but I will go out on a limb here and say, they have to have a plan for the US because as I understand it, civilian sales of the Saiga rifles and shotguns literally carry the day for Izhmash, back from like '10-'12 it was more important to them than military sales to the Russian gov't by a large percentage.

They mention new models of the AK-107 series rifles, which are balanced recoil new AK rifles.  I would be interested in the 7.62x39mm version, as I do want a top-shelf 7.62x39mm AK and planned on buying on with full features (Non-neutered) upon moving here to FL but there is a lot on that particular "plan to buy list".  Also they mention a 9mm Saiga-9 which I would love, and it looks amazing, based off of a Submachinegun version of the AK, so sort of like an AK combined with a Soviet-style MP5/Skorpion lol... awesome.

Also a new version of the Saiga-12 with a factory-built muzzle brake installed, not something I need but others will eat this up.

Back in like 2011 this got mentioned and I was very interested back then, but never really came up again so I personally wondered if Russia gave up because they got tired of trying to figure out ways to export these to the US and or Europe.  But, maybe now, they have a plan?

I also thought that too.  I love a pistol caliber carbine... I am very interested in Survival & Preparedness and almost all of my firearms have specific uses in my S&P plan but also each firearm in my portfolio should be able to contribute to my S&P plan in at least a specific way but hopefully multiple ways- having said that, I think a pistol caliber carbine is an invaluable tool for the "prepper" ... without trying to go into a huge dissertation as this is neither a S&P thread nor a PCC thread, you can use them for their inexpensive and readily available ammo, generally easy to shoot and easy to use w/ no recoil , so can be handled by everyone, not extremely loud nor heavy, so they make great use in the neighborhood etc.  Lots more reasons.

This Saiga-9 would be great... would probably last forever, work great as a Saiga AK, and by the way I forgot to mention- they are so much fun to shoot lol!  And the looks, this is awesome.  Throw an EOTech or Aimpoint on it and you've got yourself a real tool their.

If they priced it at $500 it would be The Firearm of The Year.

Tuk in general I agree with you, all I would add is, this is not something just announced, this was announced like two-two and a half years back, and basically back then people said "I would not expect to see these anytimes soon..." 

So while I do not expect them to show up on Gunbroker next week, I would surmise whatever plans they would have to formulate to get them selling here have already been figured out, and now that the plans were laid they just need to put them in action.  What that is, I have no idea, but I would think Kalashnikov / Ishmash etc wants to rock and roll, they need the money and the American people want to buy Saigas/AKs, we ate them up like chicken chowmein from 10 to 13 so , these new ones ,I would expect to sell like buttered syruped hotcakes.