cmarcell

Shipping antique rifle question

Rifle in question is a lebel with a manufacturer date of 1887.

I ship rifles all the time through a ups hub by me but I am always shipping to an 03/01 and have to present copy of ffl so they can match the address where it's being shipped.

Lebel rifle I want to send to state that recognizes the rifle as an antique and doesn't need to be transfered to buyer through an ffl. So buyer doesn't need to provide me that info but don't know if I can ship anything out of nj without it going to an ffl.

Had anyone shipped an antique rifle out of new jersey and know the procedure?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

No FFL needed. Just box it up and tell them it’s finshing rods or golf clubs if they ask. Most of the idiots at UPS have zero idea how federal firearm laws work. 

Per BATFE that rifle (1898 and before) is Excempt from NFA/GCA/etc and isnt considered to be a firearm. You can ship it wherever you want, door to door. Just make sure it’s legal where you are sending it as California and NY might treat it differently..

For the record I’ve never shown UPS a copy of the receivers FFL and I’ve shipped upwards of 20 long guns through them and about a half dozen pistols using the overnight service. I use UPS pickup so it’s no hassle. A few years ago I went to the Pleasantville NJ hub and some asshole thought he knew it all and refused to ship my Marlin back to the factory for repair... after that I switched to UPS pickup.

Also, for clarification, you can ship a rifle or shotgun through UPS/Fedex/USPS as a private non FFL to a FFL dealer. You do not need to show the clerk a copy of the FFL, you should check the FFL online using the ATF website and verify it before shipping but that doesn’t apply in your case (it’s an antique and excempt). 

You can also ship yourself a firearm out of state, just write C/O and your name on the address. ATF allows this, no FFL required.

You can also ship a firearm for repair to a factory or gunsmith and it may be returned directly to your door, even in NJ. No FFL required on your end.

as a private person you Cannot send a handgun through USPS and both UPS and Fedex require overnight or next day service. 

• Like 1