Sign in to follow this  
JayWilling

Dog Needs A Home

Hi everyone. My wife and I have come to the sad decision that one of our two Jindos has to be placed in a new home. We love little Cassie to death - got her at about 1-1/2 years old and we've had her about 3 years. She's a small Jindo mix....like a little husky but built like a fireplug. She's 50 lbs and an insanely good watch dog. Jindos are smart and opinionated but well behaved with standard leadership. She is super affectionate with my wife and follows her everywhere, affectionate with me too, but she's more wary of men and takes longer to warm up to them.

The trouble is that she has started making unprovoked, unannounced attacks on our older big boy Jindo and one of my daughter's dogs that is also older. We've had some trauma and grief in the family lately and we think that maybe that had been part of the trigger she's developed. We are not "Dog Whizbears" or anything but we're pretty good, and we've applied a lot of pack techniques and leadership to this, but she has become unpredictable with the older dogs.

We're sad about it but she would be much better off with a woman or couple who need a watchdog and a cuddle muffin. She's good at both. But...she's also an escape artist and has very high prey drive. Fenced and leashed is essential.

She's the smaller black dog in the photo.

20140401_180351_zps2f7ed594.jpg

Jindos are very smart, and have a lot of energy. They are masters at escaping fenced in yards, etc. They need A LOT of exercise, otherwise they get bored. They are great hunters, and excellent guard dogs. They are very protective of their owners property, and do not warm up to strangers easily. They are very suspect of new people. They can be trained, but they are not for someone who is not serious about taking care of their needs. Once you've broken a Jindo and have become their master, they are very obedient dogs. I'm sorry you have to let her go and hope you find a good home for her.