1LtCAP

chocolate oatmeal cookies

ok. i know there's bunches of us that're old, almost old, beyond old, reliving 2nd childhood, etc. so i'm taking a shot in the dark here.

when i was a kid my grandmom used to make these chocolate oatmeal cookies with vanilla icing. i recall having seen a recipe she was using that i think was from the courier post. or it was published in there from someone else. this is at LEAST from the 1960's old, as i remember these through most of my childhood. moms other son used to have a copy of it, but he won't talk to me, so trying to get a copy from him isn't gonna happen. if he even still has it.

so.......does anyone else remember these? had them? know where i can find the recipe? i googled and duckduckgo'd, not much luck. so now i'm here.

thanks!

We used to wait all year to get some of my Grandmothers Tollhouse cookies. Christmas and Thanksgiving only.  After my Grandmother died,  my mom used to try and duplicate Grandmas recipe but it just wasn't the same.  My Sister tries to this day to make them too...Pretty good...just not the same.   I don't know the name of your cookies ,  but I'll keep looking as I know where you are coming from.

On 12/4/2023 at 10:58 PM, 1LtCAP said:

my grandmom used to make these chocolate oatmeal cookies with vanilla icing.

Can you describe the cookie in more detail. was it baked or a no-bake recipe?  Was the icing store bought or home made, was the cookie spiced, was it buttery.  Were there chocolate chips, nuts ect.  Have you ever watched her make them?

If you can give me an accurate description, I can probably reproduce it, or at least come close.  I can bake like a motherfucker, it's a hobby I probably take more seriously than I should. 

I have to warn you though, even if you found the recipe it may be impossible to perfectly duplicate it.  Sometimes a recipe can't be reproduced because nobody can make those cookies like your g'maw.

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

Can you describe the cookie in more detail. was it baked or a no-bake recipe?  Was the icing store bought or home made, was the cookie spiced, was it buttery.  Were there chocolate chips, nuts ect.  Have you ever watched her make them?

If you can give me an accurate description, I can probably reproduce it, or at least come close.  I can bake like a motherfucker, it's a hobby I probably take more seriously than I should. 

I have to warn you though, even if you found the recipe it may be impossible to perfectly duplicate it.  Sometimes a recipe can't be reproduced because nobody can make those cookies like your g'maw.

chocolate cookies. no chips. soft and mushy if cooked properly. baked. oatmeal was the only addition. grandmom always made her own icing. moms other offspring and i used to fight over who got to lick the beaters after she made it. they were never perfectly round or uniform in size like you'd expect with cookies. she'd use a spoon to kinda slap the raw cookies onto a pan, then put them in the oven.  they were effing delicious. i'd eat them till my stomach hurt from it, lol. then i got in trouble for eating so many.

dammit......i miss her now, 'cause as i'm typing this, i'm hearing her humming as she's making them.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

oatmeal was the only addition.

If I understand you, it was more like a chocolate cookie with oatmeal, not a typical oatmeal cookie?  Was the icing basic vanilla butter cream, did it have any additions like cream cheese or sour cream?  Would you happen to recall if she used brown sugar or molasses?

8 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

nd remember seeing ......... baking soda

That's an important clue.  She may have used self rising flour that is higher in protein and already has baking powder in it and added the soda for additional rise.  That's important because different flours give different textures and chewiness.

10 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

If I understand you, it was more like a chocolate cookie with oatmeal, not a typical oatmeal cookie?  Was the icing basic vanilla butter cream, did it have any additions like cream cheese or sour cream?  Would you happen to recall if she used brown sugar or molasses?

i never saw molasses going in them. only brown sugar. i think i recall seeing sour cream, but don't recall seeing cream cheese. come to think of it, i don't think i've ever seen cream cheese in our house......