So, in the past I owned a 22lr S&W model 63 with a 3" barrel. I sold it off years ago but always regretted selling it. A few weeks ago I decided I need a 22lr revolver in my collection again. As far as revolvers go, I'm a S&W guy, I don't even consider other brands of revolvers (not looking for a debate, just my choice). Also, once I owned a gun, and sold it, I don't buy the same one again, no matter how much I regret it (again, just my choice). I always had my eye on the S&W 317 with the 3" barrel and the HiVis Sights. It intrigued me because it has an all aluminum frame, including the cylinder, has a steel lined aluminum barrel and only weighs 11oz. 

I did the usual research on it, watched as many review videos as I could find, and read as many comments/reviews as I could find. Even though this model has been around for decades the info available on it is limited. And 80% of what I could find was negative. Maybe 90%. Mostly complaints about poor accuracy (shoots high), horrible rear "V" sight,  and the gun jamming up after a few cylinders of ammo shot because of the aluminum cylinder. But people who bought it for it's intended use a backpack kit gun, and only shot a few rounds at a time, gave it positive reviews. 

So, despite all the negativity, I went and bought one anyway. My first impression was WOW, this thing is really lightweight, and it's really cool looking. 

First range trip. Oh boy.  All the negative reviews were spot on! I shot Remington Golden Bullet 36 HV ammo (it's all I had). The rear "V" sight was atrocious. The sight picture was just un-natural. The gun shot high right out of the gate at 7yds (2-3"). I adjusted the rear sight down until it bottomed out, and it was still shooting 1" high at 7yds. About the 3rd cylinder the gun started to jam up, the empty shells became extremely difficult to eject, and the gun wouldn't cycle to the next round without excessive force. I just stopped at this point, and decided to take it home and regroup.

My first thought was, to heck with this thing, I'm just going to bring it back and get a refund. But then I decided I really like this platform, and I'm going to massage this thing until it works right. So down the rabbit hole I go.

The first thing I did was find a better rear sight. After some research I came up with a S&W square notch J-Frame rear adjustable sight - part # 211850000. I bought it. Then I went and bought some different ammo. I got CCI Mini-Mag 40gr Copper Plated Round Nose. Then I cleaned and scrubber the heck out of the cylinder bores to make sure it's not a fouling related issue.

Rear sight installed and new ammo, clean cylinder bores, I was ready for another go at it.

I hit the range again. I brought the Golden Bullet and the CCI to verify results.  

Right off the bat, the rear u-notch was a huge improvement over the crap "V" notch rear sight the gun came with. I was able to easily sight in a 7yds with a few turns left before bottoming out the rear sight. POA was POI. Why wouldn't S&W just put this sight on as standard? IDK, but problem solved.

I started the session off using the Gloden Bullet to see if the cylinder bore cleaning made a difference. Nope. The gun began to lock up by the 3rd cylinder again, and the shells were almost impssibel to eject. Ok, let me try the CCI since the cylinder is already hot and swollen. The CCI's performed flawlessly!! Cylinder after cylinder the just kept ejecting smoothly and easily, and the gun just kept functioning as it should. 20 cylinders and 160rds later, it was still plugging along.  Ok, I feel much better about the 317 now.

BUT. Me being me, and not being able to leave well enough alone, I wanted to make this thing reliably shoot ANY 22lr ammo. I figured the cylinder for the Model 63 is the same exact cylinder as the 317's but in Stainless Steel, and I was right. The Stainless Steel Cylinder for the Model 63 is part number 412020000 and it fits the 317 perfectly. It did add a little bit of weight to the 317, but the 317 is still lighter than anything I have ever felt.   

Now, I have a 317 that is sighted in, accurate, and reliably shoots any 22lr ammo, and can shoot all day long at the range.

I also retained the aluminum cylinder in case one day I want to use this for it's intended purpose as super lightweight backpack kit gun.

Just an FYI.

Gratuitous Pics to follow.

IMG_20231130_153155499_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240113_132435087_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240113_133559288_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240113_125956607.jpg

IMG_20240113_133629753_HDR.jpg

• Like 1