Sudsy

?? Tweaking a stainless Rem 700 BDL 30-06 long action sporter into a sub-MOA gun ??

It'll mostly be used at the 300 yard range at my club but I would like to make it at least possible to hit a 12" plate with it at 1000 yds (at my friends range in NC). I want the gun to be capable, whether or not I am might be a different story.

Is the 24" stainless stock sporter barrel good enough? This gun has been a safe queen since 1998, no more than 100 rounds though it total, would seem a shame to rebarrel it, I'll probably buy a new gun in that case.

There are a LOT of chassis options and the prices are all over the place.
I don't understand all of the various bedding methods. I know what the terms are but I don't know what differences in accuracy you get from each of them.

I'm OK with the trigger (pre-recall), if I mess with that it will be the last tweak I do.

1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

Is the 24" stainless stock sporter barrel good enough?

It's possible that you can ring steel at 1000 with that barrel, maybe two or three times before the barrel heats up and starts stringing shots.  Which is perfectly fine for a hunting rifle.  Sporters are popular with hunters but not so much for bench rest shooters where you might go through 100 rounds in a session.

1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

would seem a shame to rebarrel it,

The 700 lives to be rebarreled, and tweaked.  If you do have it rebarreled, have the smith check and true the action.