Sign in to follow this  
mikeyboyeee

How is East Brunswick on Permits?

I live in East Brunswick

I have obtained an FPID together with two Pistol Permits and later, a further three Pistol Permits.

So what is the experience? Good and Bad.

Paperwork is obtained from the Public Safety Office, which is in the same building as the Police Station and in fact, the two offices are physically joined behind the scenes. The ladies who man the office aren't terribly pro gun. One of them said to me "oh not MORE people wanting guns" the time I went. The office is open from (about) 09.30 to (about) 15.30. In other words you need to take time off work to go get them and to deliver them. You need to go for fingerprints also during the daytime - as far as I remember there's no evening or weekend times available for either part of the process. The detective who took my fingerprints was pleasant and efficient and quite pro.

Once everything is handed in, the process took about seven or eight weeks for me to get the letter saying that my FPID and Permits were available. They wrote to my referees and followed up with a phone call to them. Again, you have to go back during the day (no evenings or weekends) to collect them from the Public Safety Office.

Getting the three further permits about six months later was similar, without the fingerprints. That took about four weeks. They didn't recontact my referees.

Now - three comments:

(i) I am not a citizen so as part of the vetting process they took extra prints and my parents' birth and address details, and contacted InterPol, so it may have taken longer.

(ii) I don't know if they will go through the whole process to change the address on an existing FPID card, but I expect that they will.

(iii) There are a number of other townships around EB that you may also consider - Milltown, South River, Sayerville, Spotswood, OldBridge. You might check them out also. However if you have kids and schools are important, forget any of them except EB - it is far far better than any of the others.

Other Comments:

Milltown has an aggressive 25mph speed limit. Don't say you weren't warned. The nearest "gun hangout" place is Sayerville Sportsman on Rt 535 - a number of the cops hang there, including some from EB. It's 1hr to either Shoreshot, Brick Armory, the Bullethole or Phillipsburgh - each range has its plusses and minuses. There's a range at exit 12 on the turnpike I hear, but I don't know where. There's one at Old Bridge and in Jackson, but they are expensive to join I think.

So - that's about it - EB is a pretty OK town - permits seem to be granted quite quickly. However, it isn't as pro or friendly as Hamilton, say.

Happy shooting

G

there is the south river pistol club located on the east brunswick border off edgeboro road -

Thanks for the info,

Does not sound too bad.

They will not fingerprint for address change within 30 days (do not believe they are supposed to legally).

Card is recent, so should be no problem.

Thanks.

BTW, most of those women who work in those places are msiserable in the 1st place.

can you tell me anything about the club, please?

--------------------------------------------------

phone # for club is 732-254-2033 - indoor 25yd pistol + rimfire range with 50yd. centerfire rifle range - outdoor 25 + 50yd pistol + rimfire - located on william street off brickplant rd. - been there since 1947 - private club , membership is limited - should be openings in sept. or october - cost is apx. $250.00 per year plus initiation fee -