Sign in to follow this  
Dblaze

PA and Upstate NY Camping with Firearms?

Just as the title says... I plan on doing some camping in the backwoods of Western PA or far Upstate NY...Am I allowed to bring firearms with me for protection while hiking and sleeping? Thanks.

Don't take any pistols to NY. This I know for certain.

As to walking around with open carry(any type of gun) for protection in the woods...I can't say. It'd be different if you had a hunting license.

Thanks for the tips. I know NY is pretty strict, but more than likely it will be in Western PA somewhere. I think I would take long guns only, so I will try to get the hunting permit for PA before we go. Is it OK for non-residents to get a hunting license in another state?

Both PA and NY are fine for hunting with long guns. You can even just have the guns in your vehicle without a specific reason for it without a hunting license. Carrying them around is a separate issue that is solved with a hunting license. Just make sure something appropriate is in season and you have the proper firearm for it.

Is it OK for non-residents to get a hunting license in another state?

It is perfectly OK and legal for you to apply for non-resident hunting licenses. In fact, it is required if you plan on hunting in another state (hunting licenses, as well as fishing licenses, are not reciprocated between states). The purpose of a hunting license is to collect a fee to pay for the state's department of wildlife (or fish and game, whatever the state calls it).