Sign in to follow this  
matt6669

Firm Believer

You always hear some veteran hunter saying, you couldn't pay me to go sit in the woods on a rainy day, b/c all your going to get is a wet ass.

I got to see this first hand today. Buddy to my to his hunting property to check it out even tho it was raining. We walked the whole property didn't see a single deer. So we decide to take the roads around the property see what was around. We saw one standing deer. Then we saw 6 deer laying in some heavy brush right on the side of the road next to a guys driveway. I literally pulled my jeep to within 10 ft of them, they lifted their heads, looked at us and never moved again. We were talking and yelling and they never moved. That just goes to show ya, when its raining all they do is bed down, b/c they don't want to get any more wet than we do :)

But it was nice to just get out and walk in the woods, better than sitting in an office.

Might try and go out tomorrow afternoon but I'll probably still be at school, boo

The deer bed down in bad weather not because of they do not want to get wet, they lose their advantages of hearing and smell when the wind is constantly changing directions and making noise blowing through the trees and brush. It is easier to hold up in heavy cover for safety untill the weather breaks and they regain their natural advantages.

So why didn't you shoot them?

Because they were much too close to a house. I couldn't in my own mind justify that. I'm only 24, I got all the time in the world to shoot as many deer as I want. :)

It's all part of the game.. lol.. the deer know where the safe areas are.