Out of curiosity I went and did a search. It is very interesting to see the number of bills related to firearms:

PUBLIC SAFETY - WEAPONS

A128 Establishes the "Firearm Automated Licensing System"; provides for an additional assessment fee for retail dealer licenses, handgun purchaser permits and firearm purchaser identification cards.

A330 Reduces years of law enforcement experience required for certain law enforcement officers to establish right to carry a firearm.

A335 Makes unlawful possession of assault firearm a second degree crime.

A336 Upgrades penalty for unlawfully transferring a firearm to an underage person.

A339 Prohibits individuals from purchasing more than one handgun in a calendar month.

A497 Clarifies criteria for determining an assault firearm.

A632 Increases firearm permit and license fees.

A667 Clarifies that BB guns are not firearms under New Jersey law.

A681 Prohibits the sale, importation, possession and carrying of handguns except by certain authorized persons.

A693 Prohibits possession of ammunition capable of penetrating body armor.

A813 Directs Attorney General to establish a criminal firearms recovery clearing house.

A886 Permits qualified retired law enforcement officers who were employed by law enforcement agencies outside the State to carry firearms.

A909 Grants right to carry handgun to certain retired campus police officers.

A1249 Establishes confidential data base to assist State Police in issuance of firearms purchaser identification cards and handgun purchase permits.

A1282 Revises procedures for securing a permit to carry a handgun.

A1375 Supplemental appropriation of $4,000,000 to fund CeaseFire pilot program in Camden, Jersey City, Newark, and Trenton.

A1834 Establishes the reckless discharge of a firearm as a crime of the fourth degree.

A1843 Criminalizes purchase or possession of firearms ammunition by persons convicted of certain crimes.

A2022 Requires radio frequency identifying devices in handguns sold by licensed retail dealers.

A2041 Clarifies possession of machine guns and assault firearms by certain law enforcement officers.

A2116 Revises definition of destructive device to include weapons of 50 caliber or greater.

A2335 Prohibits requiring school and county college employees to search for or handle explosive devices.

A2490 Requires handgun ammunition to be encoded with serial number.

A2571 Clarifies that licensed dealers may provide firearms for display at fund raising events sponsored by certain tax exempt organizations.

A2594 Authorizes certain police officers to possess and use stun guns while on duty.

A2605 Permits certain special law enforcement officers to carry firearms at all times when in State.

A2615 Requires owner to immediately report loss or theft of firearm to police.

A2667 Authorizes seizure of firearms possessed by persons taken involuntarily into custody by police for mental health screenings and assessments.

A2761 Incorporates federal standards governing sale and transfer of firearms to aliens and non-residents.

A2856 Makes it a crime to sell or possess products or materials designed to alter firearms to look like toy guns.

A3276 Upgrades unlawful possession of a machine gun or assault firearm to a crime of the second degree.

A3280 Expands calibers of rim-fire rifles permitted on State wildlife management target ranges.

A3406 Requires owner to immediately report loss or theft of firearm to police.

A3494 Permits police chiefs to issue handgun purchase permits to officers who are regularly employed, full-time members of their departments.

A3629 Provides 90-day window for persons to transfer, render inoperable or surrender assault firearm.

A3744 Mandates NICS check be the exclusive method law enforcement uses to determine whether an applicant is qualified to purchase and possess a firearm.

A3793 Establishes mandatory term of imprisonment for unlawful sales, purchases, and transfers of firearms.

A3848 Requires newly manufactured handguns be micro-stamped.

A3946 Authorizes waiver of certain juvenile firearm-related cases.

A4131 Establishes "gun-free" and "weapon free" zones around certain school and public properties.

A4133 Permits certain retired law enforcement officers to possess hollow nose ammunition.

A4239 Establishes crime of using a defaced or stolen firearm to cause serious bodily or bodily injury to a law enforcement officer; enhances penalties concerning defaced firearms.

A4301 Brings State law into conformity with federal law concerning sharing of certain mental health information relating to the purchase and possession of firearms.

A4304 Clarifies that certain transfers of handguns are not subject to law prohibiting purchase of more than one handgun in a 30-day period.

A4361 Provides certain exemptions from law prohibiting purchase of more than one handgun in a 30-day period.

ACR137 Memorializes the U.S. House of Representatives to enact legislation requiring background checks for the sale of guns at gun shows.

AJR133 Creates Firearms Advisory Task Force.

AR101 Memorializes Congress to support legislation that would allow State and local law enforcement agencies full access to firearm trace data.

S53 Prohibits plea bargaining and eliminates sentence reduction in weapons cases involving minors.

S59 Permits certain special law enforcement officers to carry firearms at all times when in State.

S138 Prohibits sale of imitation firearms to persons under age of 18.

S151 Revises qualifications to carry firearms for certain retired police officers.

S179 Authorizes trained and qualified county corrections officers to carry a firearm at all times in New Jersey.

S192 Extends application period for retired police officers to carry firearms.

S193 Revises procedures for securing a permit to carry a handgun.

S194 Authorizes certain out-of-state police officers to carry handguns in this State.

S195 Establishes statutory standards to guide authorities in evaluating applications for permits to carry handguns.

S242 Revises definition of destructive device to include weapons of 50 caliber or greater.

S482 Makes unlawful possession of assault firearm a second degree crime.

S483 Upgrades penalty for unlawfully transferring a firearm to an underage person.

S489 Supplemental appropriation of $4,000,000 to fund CeaseFire pilot program in Newark, Trenton and Camden.

S490 Requires presumption that any bail paid by defendant charged with certain weapons offenses will be in the form of full cash.

S494 Establishes "gun-free" and "weapon free" zones around certain school and public properties.

S498 Requires newly manufactured handguns be micro-stamped.

S537 Establishes a Gun Court Pilot Program in Passaic County.

S543 Provides for forfeiture of vehicle where weapon was unlawfully possessed.

S664 Prohibits possession of ammunition capable of penetrating body armor.

S715 Clarifies that "airsoft" guns are firearms.

S716 Establishes crime of removing federally required orange tip from toy gun; establishes crime of disguising a firearm by adding an orange muzzle tip.

S739 Clarifies possession of machine guns and assault firearms by certain law enforcement officers.

S776 Prohibits sale and possession of disguised knives.

S809 Permits licensed dealers to display and auction firearms at fund raising events sponsored by certain tax exempt organizations. *

S1005 Increases penalty for illegal firearms' sale within 1,000 feet of school.

S1007 Requires school districts to report to DOE certain information on students removed from school pursuant to "Zero Tolerance for Guns Act."

S1088 Restricts the participation of school and county college employees in the search for and handling of explosive devices. *

S1304 Upgrades unlawful possession of a machine gun or assault firearm to a crime of the second degree.

S1657 Imposes mandatory minimum terms of incarceration on juveniles who use guns to commit acts which, if committed by adults, would constitute serious crimes.

S1678 Requires handgun ammunition to be encoded with serial number.

S1754 Provides two-year window for persons to transfer, render inoperable or surrender assault firearm.

S1774 Prohibits individuals from purchasing more than one handgun in a calendar month.

S1782 Provides 90 day window for persons to transfer, render inoperable or surrender assault firearm.

S1821 Expands gun court pilot program to include counties with municipalities participating in Operation CeaseFire.

S2358 Expands calibers of rim-fire rifles permitted on State wildlife management target ranges.

S2546 Provides alternative handgun purchase permit application procedures for municipal police officers and members of State Police.

S2608 Clarifies that BB guns are not firearms under New Jersey law.

S2679 Establishes mandatory term of imprisonment for unlawful sales, purchases, and transfers of firearms.

S2681 Requires proof of firearms safety training as a condition for issuance of firearms purchaser ID cards and permits to purchase handguns.

S2801 Revises procedures for securing a permit to carry a handgun.

S2820 Authorizes waiver of certain juvenile firearm-related cases.

S2821 Permits certain retired law enforcement officers to possess hollow nose ammunition.

S2931 Directs Attorney General to establish a criminal firearms recovery clearing house.

S3037 Increases mandatory minimum prison term for certain crimes involving firearms and designated as Tamrah's Law.

S3068 Clarifies that certain transfers of handguns are not subject to law prohibiting purchase of more than one handgun in a 30-day period.

S3076 Brings State law into conformity with federal law concerning sharing of certain mental health information relating to the purchase and possession of firearms.

S3104 Provides certain exemptions from law prohibiting purchase of more than one handgun in a 30-day period.

SJR84 Creates Firearms Advisory Task Force.

SR35 Urges expeditious disposition of crimes involving guns.

That list is frightening. How much of that is current?

I like how it clarifies that BB guns aren't firearms then clarifies that Airsoft are firearms. LOL.

This is from the 2008-2009 legislative session. The problem is bills can be proposed again so it is still interesting to see what bills politicians are coming up with. I just read one that really boggles my mind though. Here we are back to the "justifiable need" language except for regular ownership now on top of carry licenses :( . Even if this never passes it is just scary that it is being proposed at all:

A681 Prohibits the sale, importation, possession and carrying of handguns except by certain authorized persons.

1. (New section) The provisions of P.L. , c. (C. )(now before the Legislature as this bill) shall be liberally construed to advance the following goals:

a. Strictly limiting the availability of handguns by establishing prohibitions on their sale, possession, and importation;

b. Encouraging a reduction in the number of lawfully possessed handguns; and

c. Establishing a rigorous system of regulation over the transportation and transfer of handguns in New Jersey.

This bill restricts the sale, importation, possession and carrying of handguns except by certain authorized persons. Antique handguns and handguns determined by the Superintendent of State Police to be collectibles, commemoratives or curios are exempted.

Authorized persons would include those presently permitted to possess and carry handguns for work-related purposes, including law enforcement officers and members of the military. The bill also provides, however, that a homeowner or a storeowner may acquire and possess a handgun for self-protection if they can demonstrate a "justifiable need." In addition, members of licensed pistol clubs would be permitted to purchase handguns, but those handguns must be delivered to, and remain in the possession of, the club.

An owner who lawfully possesses a handgun upon enactment of the bill will be allowed to retain the handgun, but must obtain a certificate of ownership for it. The certificate would remain valid for three years and then must be renewed. An individual who fails to secure a certificate of ownership for a handgun could be charged with a crime of the fourth degree, or possibly a crime of the third degree, for violating N.J.S.2C:39-10.

I told the representatives over in Jackson the only reason I voted for them was because they got a good grade with the NRA, and said I hope they would pass some pro gun legislation during the 4 years Christie is in office. I was gonna vote out all the incumbants, but no way in hell in NJ am I gonna vote out some pro gun incumbants for some questionable newcomers.

I told the representatives over in Jackson the only reason I voted for them was because they got a good grade with the NRA, and said I hope they would pass some pro gun legislation during the 4 years Christie is in office. I was gonna vote out all the incumbants, but no way in hell in NJ am I gonna vote out some pro gun incumbants for some questionable newcomers.

What was their reply to your comments?

And HOW exactly does Christie being in office counter the fact that Pro-gun politicians are the minority in the legislature????