lunker

Difference between steel framed and alloy framed pistols

I am trying to decide between a compact 9mm with an all steel frame (CZ75B) and one with an alloy frame (CZ PCR). They both have all-steel slides.

The difference in weight between the two guns is .3 lbs. The CZ 75B weighs 2 lbs. The CZ PCR weighs 1.7 lbs.

How much (if at all) will this difference impact the felt recoil of the gun, the longevity of the gun, etc?

I like the all-steel construction on the 75B, but I like the ambi-decocker I can get on the PCR. I never used the cocked-and-locked style safety on my 75B in 40S&W since I don't carry here in PRNJ. A decocker is handy from a sefety perspective because you don't have to pull the trigger and thumb down a hammer to decock.

They are both time proven designs.

:confusion-confused: :confusion-confused:

• Like 1

The difference is weight. Alloy framed handguns will function just fine after thousands of rounds. When S&W came out with their 2nd. Gen SA handguns some doubts existed. after years of use and many rounds those concerns were dispelled. The same concern was brought up when Glock came out with their "plastic" handguns. Yet years later the frames have withstood many thousands of rounds.

Only once did we have an issue with alloy frames. that was an early run of S&W 669 handguns. The frames themselves were faulty and replaced without issue by the manufacturer.

It comes down to personal preference. Unless one were going to start using ultra hot reloads, either one will work just fine.

I think that either frame will outlast the useful life of the either pistol. Recoil differences would also be negligible (and can be tuned with the right recoil spring from Wolff). So the main 2 points I would look at are:

1) weight (for me lighter is better if you ever get a chance to carry)

2) do you want a decocker or a manual safety. Trigger jobs and the competition hammer install from czcustom (which makes the trigger really sweet!) are easier/cheaper to do on non-decocker SA/DA guns. They do offer one for decockers however it's about $35 more to do due to the complexity of the trigger mechanism.

Or if you have some $$ to spend, go for this PCR: http://tinyurl.com/bnbx2l :D

As an added bonus, CZ's customer service always gets very good feedback and I would think they'd fix any problems you had with the frames due to a defect in worksmanship/quality of materials.

I think it also has to do with the caliber you're shooting. Alloy frame does have issues on Berettas in .40 and I think HiPowers also has some issues.

Other guns such as Sigs in 9mm lasts forever on alloy frames. I have Sig 226 in both alloy and steel frame and the weight difference is definitely noticeable.

We had zero problems with any alloy framed 40S&W. No problems to date with the Glock 23, nor have I seen any at a very active IPDA club where Glock is the handgun of choice. The problem with the 669 was with bad frames and not the caliber.

A bad design in steel is going to still be a bad design in alloy. While all alloys (or steel for that matter) are the same, high quality manufacturers have spent much time and effort to insure the frames will stand up to the abuse.

Don't forget, the M16 is an aluminum alloy receiever that sees more use than any privately owned handgun will ever see.