Sign in to follow this  
Zell959

Cost for change of address & 2 PPs if no new fingerprints?

I'm going to be putting in for an address change on my FID to a different town and will be putting in for 2PPs at the same time. My original FID was issued only 6 months ago, so I would hope new background checks & fingerprinting can be waived. Given that, I'm anticipating only owing $2 per PP. Does that sound right or have I failed to account for something? Anyone else put in similar requests recently & pay something different?

Thanks in advance for any input offered.

I'm going to be putting in for an address change on my FID to a different town and will be putting in for 2PPs at the same time. My original FID was issued only 6 months ago, so I would hope new background checks & fingerprinting can be waived. Given that, I'm anticipating only owing $2 per PP. Does that sound right or have I failed to account for something? Anyone else put in similar requests recently & pay something different?

Thanks in advance for any input offered.

EVERY transaction requires the $18.00 background check fee. Since it's a new town they MAY require you to do figerprints again as well. there's no way of knowing until you get there and talk to them.

It may depend on when you got your current FPID as to how much you'll pay and what forms you use. If it was recent, then it will be: $18 for the criminal background check (form SBI 212A); $5 for the new FPID (form STS-3); and, $2 each for the P2P (form STS-033).

Since you are applying for the P2P's at the same time, they may waive the STS-3, since it pretty much duplicates the STS-033, except the STS-3 does not ask for two references.

If you got your FPID before the NJSP started their digital database, you may have to go through the whole process again - meaning fingerprinting and the attendant fee.

Since there really isn't any oversite (NJSP = fox guarding the henhouse), and the law is vague in when the various fees/forms apply, your municipality may differ from the above. I'd expect the worst and maybe then you'll be pleasantly surprised :roll:

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I guess it depends on the town. I just applied for a change of address. My last app was Back in 1997. I only was charged the $18 for the state police check. I wasn't even dingerprinted wasnt charged for the single gun permit I requested.

Went to the Wayne PD yesterday and it would seem that almost nothing is the same from town to town. I also got the vibe that I'll never actually see the replacement FID or PPs issued without regular follow up and will still likely have to deal with a really excessive turnaround time. Basically went like this:

Walk up to window with only form indicated as required on PD's website instructions filled out in pen. The clerk tells me, using what can best be described as a 'DMV' tone of voice, that the forms have to be typed & that I also need the "other forms" and turns me away. I mentioned that the website indicates that the additional forms aren't needed if you have made a request within the past three years. She responds that it's my responsibility to provide ALL forms to them at which point they will decide what forms are applicable to the request. Got the obvious sense that she was making it up as she went with her number 1 priority being to turn me away no matter what.

Wanting to get this done since I'm not due for another half day anytime soon, I went straight home and pulled up the website. Instructions only say forms have to be legible, not typed, but whatever. Also, links to additional forms are in dis-repair and only bring me to the NJSP general website and are of no use. I figure the only other form it can possibly be is the STS-033. I type out both forms & print twice. I also printed out a page detailing how form SBI 212A must be directly obtained from a PD as I wanted to be able to call BS if she claimed bringing a completed copy of 212A was my responsibility.

Get back to the PD window 10 min before they close, I get a much friendlier clerk. I provide her the two copies of both forms. She asks only for $6 for the three permits and nothing more. Gives me a receipt for the $6. She then hands me two blank reference letters. Apparently they don't mail them out and instead it's on me to get both references to fill them out, and then return them myself. This initially annoyed me, but I've come to realize that having physically walked both letters in myself will eliminate any chance for them to get misplaced and will remove that from the excuse pool as this process drags on.

Went to the Wayne PD yesterday and it would seem that almost nothing is the same from town to town. I also got the vibe that I'll never actually see the replacement FID or PPs issued without regular follow up and will still likely have to deal with a really excessive turnaround time. Basically went like this:

Walk up to window with only form indicated as required on PD's website instructions filled out in pen. The clerk tells me, using what can best be described as a 'DMV' tone of voice, that the forms have to be typed & that I also need the "other forms" and turns me away. I mentioned that the website indicates that the additional forms aren't needed if you have made a request within the past three years. She responds that it's my responsibility to provide ALL forms to them at which point they will decide what forms are applicable to the request. Got the obvious sense that she was making it up as she went with her number 1 priority being to turn me away no matter what.

Wanting to get this done since I'm not due for another half day anytime soon, I went straight home and pulled up the website. Instructions only say forms have to be legible, not typed, but whatever. Also, links to additional forms are in dis-repair and only bring me to the NJSP general website and are of no use. I figure the only other form it can possibly be is the STS-033. I type out both forms & print twice. I also printed out a page detailing how form SBI 212A must be directly obtained from a PD as I wanted to be able to call BS if she claimed bringing a completed copy of 212A was my responsibility.

Get back to the PD window 10 min before they close, I get a much friendlier clerk. I provide her the two copies of both forms. She asks only for $6 for the three permits and nothing more. Gives me a receipt for the $6. She then hands me two blank reference letters. Apparently they don't mail them out and instead it's on me to get both references to fill them out, and then return them myself. This initially annoyed me, but I've come to realize that having physically walked both letters in myself will eliminate any chance for them to get misplaced and will remove that from the excuse pool as this process drags on.

They will tell you that they will send you a letter when your permits/FID is done. Don't believe that line of carp for a minute. I suggest calling at 6 weeks. And yes, I have personal experience with exactly what you describe. They handed me an additional form when I went for PP's last time and I told them that it was not legal and not permitted by NJ law, the woman was offended but took my stuff anyway and I did receive my PP's within 8-12 wks as I recall.