Sign in to follow this  
intercooler

can you build your own amd 65 in nj?

obviously I would need to weld the stock open and put on an extended brake (if i can find one theat fits the Nj rules). but what about the front grip?

I can get a parts kit cheap and kinda would enjoy building it.

Can you legally buy JUST a receiver in nj?

How would you build a NJ legal kit up?

Is it cheaper to just but one?

Stock must be welded open, Extended brake must be welded on as well, both state and federal law for that one. Front grip is just fine.

Yes, you can buy just a finished receiver like an NDS-3 or Nodak Spud in NJ, it goes as "other" on the 4473. Not sure if NJ needs a pistol permit for "other" or not, wouldn't make sense to do so, but this is NJ.

If you have a press and jig, and welding equipment, you can buy a flat which is just a piece of metal, ships right to your door, which you make a receiver out of by bending into shape, welding the internal rails on, and heat treating the axis pin holes. I don't believe there is any law against someone with an FID building their own rifle in NJ, but double check that.

You would weld the brake on, weld the stock open (IMO the stock on an AMD65 is absolutely worthless, have you ever held/shot it? the only way to possibly justify so terrible is a stock is that it folds and is small) Though you could always weld some more steel bar onto it and wrap some paracord around it to make it better.

It's almost always cheaper to buy an AK. However, you don't build an AK for the destination you build it for the journey, ie all the experience and work that goes into it.

I am looking into possibly building my first one as a summer project, I am looking at doing maybe a Romanian G kit (fixed stock with wood) or maybe even a romanian UF with the folding mechanism removed and the stock welded open. If you want to hook up and build rifles together with others it is a great way to save money on tooling and have some help with tools and such.

i have a friend who will give me the a parts kit free in pa. My brother is in the middle east and he says they are alot of fun to shoot. I have the tools to rivet and press stuff already (i work on cars)

Are the receivers cheap to buy?

I read a good deal on ak files about bending, but i have no really reliable way to heat treat anything so I am thinking buying one is the way to go. I jyst like the idea of making it myself(that whole diy gratification) :lol:

I had a good bit of fun with my brothers mak90 years ago and he had a ar15 (bushmaster xm15 m4 ) si I wanted to do the amd first then build up a nice a3 style bushmaster. I was reading up on what is and is not legal and it seems that the ar15 is a more easily compatible gun to Nj laws, but the amd "should" be fine too...just need to get the right magazines from kvar and make sure to get the US made stuff for 922r (?) compliance.

In NJ, you can NOT legally bend a flat into a receiver. That is considered manufacturing, and you need a special license to do so. Your only legal way of putting this gun together is by buying a complete 100% receiver that is transfered through a FFL like a rifle. You will still need the rest of the US made parts as well. The receiver is one, the fire control group (trigger, hammer, disconector) is 3 and the welded extended brake is 1...thats 5, and all you need if the rifle does not have a threaded barrel. By welding on the brake, its no longer considered a threaded barrel. If you want to be extra safe , you can also get a US made gas piston, which will give you an extra part and allow you to keep the original pistol grips...the front one is OK to have and does NOT count as an extra evil item as per the NJ list of very bad and evil gun parts.............Also, the AMD brake produces a HUGE fireball that can easily been seen in the daylight as well as a gigantic BOOM.....other people at the range will either love or hate it.

i have a friend who will give me the a parts kit free in pa. My brother is in the middle east and he says they are alot of fun to shoot. I have the tools to rivet and press stuff already (i work on cars)

Are the receivers cheap to buy?

I read a good deal on ak files about bending, but i have no really reliable way to heat treat anything so I am thinking buying one is the way to go. I jyst like the idea of making it myself(that whole diy gratification)

Exactly! I love the fun of working on these guns. The main reason I wanna build one is the experience, heck the end result of mine would just be a WASR.

You having rivets and press tools is awesome (I have none lol)

Finished receivers are very cheap, NDS-3 AKM receiver is $55 shipped ( http://www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm ) For your AMD you'd need the NDS-65 receiver which is same price but discontinued :( So you'd have to track one down elsewhere.

If I did my own build I would get a finished receiver too from an FFL, that's just too much bang for your buck to pass up!

In NJ, you can NOT legally bend a flat into a receiver. That is considered manufacturing, and you need a special license to do so. Your only legal way of putting this gun together is by buying a complete 100% receiver that is transfered through a FFL like a rifle. You will still need the rest of the US made parts as well. The receiver is one, the fire control group (trigger, hammer, disconector) is 3 and the welded extended brake is 1...thats 5, and all you need if the rifle does not have a threaded barrel. By welding on the brake, its no longer considered a threaded barrel. If you want to be extra safe , you can also get a US made gas piston, which will give you an extra part and allow you to keep the original pistol grips...the front one is OK to have and does NOT count as an extra evil item as per the NJ list of very bad and evil gun parts.............Also, the AMD brake produces a HUGE fireball that can easily been seen in the daylight as well as a gigantic BOOM.....other people at the range will either love or hate it.

Interesting, thanks a lot for the info man. Looks like bending one is out. Oh well. Will just get a finished receiver from an FFL if I do decide to do a build.

However, the welded extended brake is not for the NJ muzzle law, it's for Federal (and state) Short Barreled Rifle laws, as an actual AMD rifle is well under 16" barrel. So the special extra long brake is welded on to the barrel bring it to 16.5" or so, integrated unit that nothing detaches from, no threads. So it complies to both NJ muzzle laws and Federal/State SBR laws.

922r only applies to imported rifles. When an AK is built on something like an NDS-3 it is an american made firearm and thus not subject to 922r (only NJ's assault weapons ban laws, etc) You can use as many foreign parts as you want on an NDS-3, doing so on something like a Saiga or MAK-90 is where it is illegal.

yea..my brother told me thay are brakes..NOT flash supressors. He suggested I get a wood stock as the wire one is pretty crappy, so I think i have the plan down. My Buddy bought like 10 kits when they were like $80 years ago...he said i could have one for helping him fix his car. Now I just have to wait for my papers and I am set. Mean time aI am gonna see what deals are out there on 7.62

Well, to put a wood stock on an AMD You'll need to use a different trunion and possibly mod the receiver at the rear, as the Hungarian folder has a totally different rear trunion and receiver than fixed stock ones.

It's probably easier to bend a piece of steel rod into a good shape and weld it to that folder, then some paracord wrap, to turn that crappy folder into a fixed skeleton stock.

One Source tactical sells a pre made bar that bolts on: http://www.onesourcetactical.com/wiresi ... piece.aspx

I looked around and it appears that I would just use a standard akm (european ) receiver as the rest of the front end is basically the same pattern. (basically what i can see)

what make the amd different is the rear realistically, I would want to have to drill the trunion patterns on any receiver i got just to make sure they were 100% true anyway

I've built several AK's on NDS receivers that I had transferred through an FFL here.

As far as I'm aware you are still subject under the 922r laws unless you're planning on building a pistol (which probably isn't going to happen here legally). As far as I'm aware this is the case even with home bent or US made receiver, you still need to build with 10 or less Foreign parts. Starting with an NDS receiver and a G2 fire control group already gives you 4 of the 6 necessary parts amd if you go with a US made break you're already up to 5.

For an AK the parts list is:

1. Muzzle device

2. Barrel

3. Gas piston

4. Handguards

5. Trunion (this is the front trunion, the rear trunion does not count)

6. Bolt carrier

7. Bolt

8. Receiver

9. Pistol grip

10. Buttstock

11. Hammer

12. Sear

13. Trigger

14. Magazine body

15. Mag. Floorplate

16. Mag. follower

OK, I just looked it up and you are correct, even if built on a US Receiver you still have to comply with 922r.

Don't let my wife find out. ;)

I've built 2 Romy G kits on NDS3 receivers and they are pretty easy to work with. The holes did not line up 100% but they were easily adjusted. if you went that route you would need an AKM rear trunnion which can be had for about $25, then you could put on just about any stock you wanted. If you wanted to use an Ace skeleton stock, If you went with the NDS 1 you could use the custom rear Trunnion from AK builder. This would allow you to mount the ace skeleton stocks directly to it and not have to deal with the ugly bulge at the back if you use a standard AKM trunnion. I bought one a while back and need to pick up an NDS1 (or 2) to try that out myself. Just a thought, when it comes to AK's there are almost as many options as with AR's.

Don't forget to check the headspace. Good luck.