Sign in to follow this  
theRU

Is this true?

My buddy at work has his FID and has bought pistols in the past. He went back to get another pistol permit to purchase and was told that because he hasnt purchased a pistol in the last two years he needs to go through the entire background check/ finger print process. Is this true?

I think it's up to the department. If they want to get his prints into the digital system(Sagem Morpho), I can see it. If it's for more paper copies...well that's important too, your fingerprints must change every two, three weeks, tops, right? :roll:

I had to renew my FID card 2 years ago after having moved to a new adddress in town (Middlesex Boro) , and was concerned about getting a pistol permit within 2 years of getting my new FID or else I'd have to do the whole process over again. The police told me that is no longer an issue, and that it would have been OK if it was over 2 years since getting my new FID. I find it hard to believe that individual towns would have the ability to decide whether this was rule or not. This has to be a consistant law throughout the state, no?

I'm not an expert on this particular area of the law, but I believe one of our former LEO members who was very familiar with this part of the law said that the state basically leaves it up to the local PO to investigate the applicant, and the 2 year rule is one of the tools they can use at their discretion.