Wolfy

327 Federal Magnum

This caliber is on my short list. I am thinking a 7 shot GP100.

What are your opinions of this caliber?

How about a six shot SP101 for if Jersey ever gets CCW? The recoil is much milder than the 357 from the reloading books I have read.

If NJ gets CCW I will buy a SP101 I figure the GO100 at 40 something ounces will be a joy to shoot. Plus the extra barrel length adds 100-200fps to velocity.

The sights are a heck of a lot better on the GP100 too. The SP101 has the a v-shaped groove built into the frame that serves as a rear sight. It's no target gun. 327 should feel like 38 special out of that gun.

The SP101 has the a v-shaped groove built into the frame that serves as a rear sight.

Chris:

The SP101 has a windage adjustable blade rear sight.

I have been considering this for my GF. Would love to see Ruger chamber the LCR in .327. Likewise, would like to see a 3" J-frame airweight from S&W, rather than that stupid ported pro-series. I've been considering the Charter Arms version.

The extra round, lighter recoil and the fact that a slide does not need to be manipulated all bode well for this as a petite woman's gun/caliber (just made points with my GF there - no reflection on your masculinity, guys). I also like that three different rounds can be fired from it: .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Mag and .327 Fed Mag.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob,

Maybe they changed designs on the SP101 (for the better, IMO). When I had mine in 357, it just had a rear notch in the top strap. Sighting accurately was really tough. That combined with not being able to carry it anywhere made me sell it.

...made me sell it.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Since when have you needed a reason :mrgreen:

I checked Ruger's website and found that it is only the SP101 in .327 that has the windage adjustable rear sight. The .357's and .38's just have the notch.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Latest sp101 models list shows .327 has adjustable sights while .38 and .357's have an integral fixed notch rear sight:

http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/models.html

The .357 2.25" is one of my favorites. Cartridge is here to stay and is freaking fun to touch off. Never tried a .327 but I hear its cool and the numbers say less recoil.