Sign in to follow this  
Jon

South Carolina resident with temporary NJ residence

A friend of mine is a resident in SC, but splits his time between there and NJ. Anyone know if he can purchase a firearm in NJ? And/or PA? Also, once he legally owns a firearm, what does NJ law say in ref to keeping that firearm at his NJ residence? Thanks!

Federal law says he can purchase a long gun in any state. NJ is more restrictive and says you must be a NJ resident. Unless he establishes NJ residency (driver's license, NJFID, etc) he cannot buy any gun in NJ. He can go to PA and buy a long gun. Any legally acquired firearm can be kept at his residence as long as it doesn't violate any NJ law (like the Assault Weapon law).

Federal law says he can purchase a long gun in any state. NJ is more restrictive and says you must be a NJ resident. Unless he establishes NJ residency (driver's license, NJFID, etc) he cannot buy any gun in NJ. He can go to PA and buy a long gun. Any legally acquired firearm can be kept at his residence as long as it doesn't violate any NJ law (like the Assault Weapon law).

Thanks... that confirms what I thought.

I believe if he gets a FPID, he can purchase a long gun in NJ. A non-resident can never purchase a firearm in any state but their own, so that's out no matter where.

But we, as NJ residents, can legally buy a rifle/shotgun in PA. Did you intend to say handgun instead of firearm?

Also, can a non-resident of NJ apply for a FPID?

I believe if he gets a FPID, he can purchase a long gun in NJ. A non-resident can never purchase a firearm in any state but their own, so that's out no matter where.

But we, as NJ residents, can legally buy a rifle/shotgun in PA. Did you intend to say handgun instead of firearm?

Also, can a non-resident of NJ apply for a FPID?

Yes, I mis-typed. I meant a non resident can never purchase a handgun. Specifically, they can purchase it, they cannot take delivery in any state but their own home state.

A non resident can get a FPID.

Some states, SC being one of them, have a "contiguous states" policy on buying guns. As a resident of SC, the following, from NRA-ILA, may apply to him and he may not be able to buy a gun in a state unless it is contiguous with SC. He should check with people from his area on that.

Any resident who may lawfully purchase and receive delivery of a rifle or shotgun in South Carolina may purchase a rifle or shotgun in a contiguous state from a federally firearms licensee (FFL)

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/SCSL.pdf