FlyersFan

Where to buy a Flintlock in NJ?

Hey guys. I'm finally getting around to purchasing the Flintlock rifle that I've been wanting to buy for awhile now, but I'm having trouble finding places in New Jersey (at least around me!) that sell them. Bob's Little Sport Shop in Glassboro has some, but I'm looking for a new one and all they have are older ones that don't look like they're in good shape at all. I've been checking out the Cabela's and Gander Mountain websites just to gauge how much each type would be, and I know that Dixon's Muzzleloading Shop in Kempton PA has a great selection, but I'd much rather give my business to a local gunshop or FFL than travel hundreds of miles out of state to get one.

The ideal would be a shop that has new ones right on the rack behind the counter that I could handle and see how they look and feel instead of having them order one for me I've never seen, held, etc. Any ideas? Thanks! :icon_e_smile:

+1 to dixons, they are like the holy grail of black powder. Cabelas also has a few flintlocks if you dont find what you are looking for there. I know tony can order BP rifles.

Sportsmans center or Cheyanne mountain might have some.

Wasnt there a bunch of BP rifles in the marketplace not too long ago?

Thanks guys, I've heard a lot of great things about Dixon's too. I'll have to stop by next time I go to Cabela's. And yeah, there was a flintlock in the marketplace recently, but by the time I contacted the seller about it, it was already sold :(

Congrats on deciding to get a flintlock. I have a beautiful Thompson .50 cal. Up to 150 feet from a rested position it has almost no drop with a 90 grain BP Charge. I can get under 8" grouping. It can be accurate well past that once you learn the drop rate, which I have not done yet. I think every true gun enthusiasts must have one.

A few things to keep in mind (I am an NRA BP Instructor). Main charge then patched ball. The patch allows the ball which is smaller then the bore to grip the groves and spin. Real Blackpowder ignites better, but is dirtier. Use 2F for the main charge. 4F for the flint pan. Goex is good stuff. Keep a flash hole pick tied on your string to your trigger guard to pick the hole clean when you have to.

Clean after a day of shooting with soap and water because BP residue is corrosive. Use hot water because it will dry faster... or blow dry with a hair dryer.

OIL everything that is mettle. I was careless and I forgot to oil the trigger hinge one time and soon found the trigger rusted stiff. It was easy enough to clean and fix, but better not to get into that hassle.

Flint ignition. You will figure out with experience that the flint will spark best at a certain angle. That means you may have to adjust the position as you keep wearing the flint down. Know that the Frizen, gets warn too and will eventually need to be replaced.

You can buy real black powder at:

Wallenpaupack Sports Shop

Route 6

Hawley, PA 18428

(570) 226-4797