mipafox

Classic Pistol - Range Report

I invited a few people that I have met from NJGF. None wanted to come. The place is just across the river from Trenton in Southampton, PA.

I shoot down there about twice a year nowadays. Rifle bay is 25 yards, anything short of .50 BMG is allowed. FA is allowed, belt fed is allowed. I heard from two meets ago, FA + belt fed = not allowed. There were 35 people that meet, but I missed it.

This time we started with 9 people and ended up with 5. Some "key people" (FA) could not make it. I brought the only FA - M11/MAX-11 and M16.

We had a great time!!! At one point I put an 11.5" upper on the M16 (with PWS 556 comp) and did a full Beta dump of 5.56 ammo. It was like a volcano with sparks everywhere. I couldn't even see the target through the sparks, I just focused on the red dot of the Aimpoint. You don't just hear this thing (ears and muffs recommended), you feel it blast you with a shock wave from every single round. We compared the walls enclosing the lane to the other lanes and realized I had cleaned 10 years of residue off of our lane and it was now mostly on my clothes. Somebody was shooting a SOCOM II 18" with a comp and it was not nearly as loud. I don't think the light show would have been better if I brought APIT (obviously not allowed).

I've done a lot of Beta dumps. Dozens to start with. But I've never noticed this before. Betas don't have bolt hold open. So, I'm locking the bolt back and there is a light saber in front of me. It's my gas tube! It's glowing white hot with only a hint of red! As I called my buddies over to see it it quickly started cooling through various stages of glowing red hot. So we let it cool while we worked on the SMG, guns we brought, and a S&W 'performance'? (whatever it is called) somewhat tuned 1911 in 9mm that e rented and had a great trigger.

After all of the various FA some people couldn't take it anymore and one group decided to rent a FA HK UMP from the range at $60/hour. They had a great time! I was watching them. I wished they would have talked to us before hand, I would have let them shoot our stuff. But we were letting our stuff cool to pack up at that point and were just shooting handguns.

Fun day. Great shop, great range, very knowledgeable employees, every one. Show you whatever you want to see even if you aint buying. It is curious they make you show them your NFA paperwork for NFA items before you go in, but I don't care about that. Probably a CYA kinda thing. Just never seen that at the other few ranges this side of the Commonwealth that allow FA.

Very cool! Let me know when you plan on hitting that range again, I would love to join you!

I only head down there twice a year on average. If you are from Somerset County, I'm at Firing Line in Lehigh Valley most Sundays. No rifle ammo, but we bring SMGs and sometimes I break out the M16 with the Spikes .22 upper. It's also cheaper, $12/9 per hour I think.

I only head down there twice a year on average. If you are from Somerset County, I'm at Firing Line in Lehigh Valley most Sundays. No rifle ammo, but we bring SMGs and sometimes I break out the M16 with the Spikes .22 upper. It's also cheaper, $12/9 per hour I think.

Give me a shout whenever you go. The wifeypants and I would love to join ya.