chris327

what to look for mosin

So this weekend in pa I think I'm going to pick up a mosin. I have no idea about c&r guns. What to look for good or bad. this will be my first surplus gun as long as I find something decent. even considering an sks if I find one cheap. Any info would be great.

As far as wanting a M44 or a 91/30 , its all up to you, if you go with a m44 plan on paying more but there worth it .

And as far as a 91/30 hex or round its also preference .

Just pick up what ever is the best deal for you !

On all of them if you open the bolt and pull lightly back on the trigger the bolt will slide out the back so you can look down the barrel, if its bright and shiny great, frosted ok just as long as the lands and groves are good.

And look for matching numbers then you shouldn't need head space gauges. Some people say you should check it anyway, I wouldn't bother ! If you want I will take the 1st shot :)

Hey Chris, no worries. The Mosin is a good cheap rifle. If you follow Ted's instructions you should be good. Do a little reading first to get acquainted with the different flavors. You might decide you want a Finnish Mosin for the accuracy, a M44 Carbine for the sheer fun (my favorite) or a regular 91/30 for the history.

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/

http://mosinnagant.net/

I have come to the conclusion that Ted is a reincarnated test firer from the Tula factory in the earlier part of the century. I can hear now in a thick Russian accent " Hey I dont know if this rifle any good...." Ted replies " Fugg it bring it over here"

Either that or Ted was actually the test firer and the cosmoline preserved his body.

Drug addicts are always on the prowl for their next fix, Ted is on the prowl for his next fix of COSMO. If it has been too long, Ted starts going through cosmo withdrawls

I have come to the conclusion that Ted is a reincarnated test firer from the Tula factory in the earlier part of the century. I can hear now in a thick Russian accent " Hey I dont know if this rifle any good...." Ted replies " Fugg it bring it over here"

Either that or Ted was actually the test firer and the cosmoline preserved his body.

Drug addicts are always on the prowl for their next fix, Ted is on the prowl for his next fix of COSMO. If it has been too long, Ted starts going through cosmo withdrawls

Eric, I never really thought about Ted this way, but this makes a lot of sense the more I think about it. :sarcastichand:

I'd have to admit, I have a cosmo affliction too. :alcoholic: