matty

What steel targets for steel core ammo?

I am wanting to buy some steel targets for use at CJ on the rifle ranges, in the spring. I use the Greek M2 ball for the M1, and some of the ammo for the SKS is steel core, or bimetallic, whatever that means. I would use these at 100 yd minimum, 50 yd for .22. So what thickness plate should I get for use with that type of ammo, or is that not advisable due to wrecking the plate or possible fragmentation?

I shoot steel core at my AR500 steel plate, no problems. The steel core/bimetal bullets are all mild steel and won't hurt the AR500 plate. Only when you get into AP ammo with a hardened steel/tungsten or whatever core will you have a problem.

That AR500 steel is pretty good stuff. I have at least 100 .308 rounds (rem700 and M1a) and numerous 30-06 military ball shots into it. No signs of it giving up. It does show some small surface cratering, just dings.

Make sure you know the difference between core and jacket ammo. Steel jacket ammo is fine on AR500 past 100 yards. Actual steel core AP ammo will shoot anything you can be bothered to move downrange more then once so just use that on paper, but be aware that CJ might have a rule against its use.