ITman

Shipping a firearm

I've recently picked up a drop in Bar-Sto barrel for my Sig P226. Well it didn't drop in, it looks like it needs some minor fitting. Bar-Sto will do the fitting for free, but they recommend sending the complete firearm. I can only send the slide and barrel but if it doesn't lock up properly when I get it back I'd have to send them the complete firearm anyway.

I've never had to ship a firearm for repair or modification and have no idea what the requirements are. Could I ship it myself or would I need to have an FFL ship it? Are there less requirements to simply ship the slide and barrel than the complete firearm? Would it be better to simply find a local gunsmith to perform the work?

I could be crass and say, "Use the search feature", but I won't.

First see if you can ship it on their dime - request a call ticket. If they won't, you have several options:

1) The slide and barrel are not the serial numbered parts (even if the slide has a number on it - it's not the receiver) so it can be shipped USPS without any special consideration. Recommend priority insured.

2) If you want to ship the entire gun, it must be shipped common carrier (UPS or FedEx). Their policies dictate that it must go air and you must ship from a hub. You must declare that it is a firearm and there must be no indication on the outside of the package that it contains a firearm. Expect to pay $40 to $60 one way.

3) Take it to an FFL and have them ship it for you. An FFL can send it via USPS (you can't) and that is a lot less $$$$ than UPS or FedEx. However, the FFL will charge a fee for doing this, but usually the fee plus postage will be less than the air freight from UPS or FedEx.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: If you have someone local do it and they screw-up, then you are SOL.

I could be crass and say, "Use the search feature", but I won't.

First see if you can ship it on their dime - request a call ticket. If they won't, you have several options:

1) The slide and barrel are not the serial numbered parts (even if the slide has a number on it - it's not the receiver) so it can be shipped USPS without any special consideration. Recommend priority insured.

2) If you want to ship the entire gun, it must be shipped common carrier (UPS or FedEx). Their policies dictate that it must go air and you must ship from a hub. You must declare that it is a firearm and there must be no indication on the outside of the package that it contains a firearm. Expect to pay $40 to $60 one way.

3) Take it to an FFL and have them ship it for you. An FFL can send it via USPS (you can't) and that is a lot less $$$$ than UPS or FedEx. However, the FFL will charge a fee for doing this, but usually the fee plus postage will be less than the air freight from UPS or FedEx.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: If you have someone local do it and they screw-up, then you are SOL.

Thanks for all the info Pizza Bob, it looks like taking it to an FFL would be best for me. Don't worry about being crass, I've been married for 30 years.

Do you think they need the frame? If the barrel is ramped and it is being fit to the slide, what on the barrel actually needs to be fit to the frame (maybe the ramp to the frame?)? If that's the case, send the slide assembly and new barrel US Priority Mail with insurance.