Angelo Richichi

Out of State purchase and leaving it there

Just bring your firearm out to Arizona when you visit there. You can check it on an airline, or travel with it in the trunk under FOPA across the U.S.

I don't think it is possible to have two residences, there are exceptions for military under some conditions (live in NJ, based in AZ) and students (live in NJ and go to college in AZ).

There have been suggestions on other sites about getting a voter card in secondary states that one owns property in and using that to get a non drivers ID in the secondary state while keeping a primary state drivers license. I think that tactic might be illegal, although I'd mention it here just for discussion in case it is legal...IANAL (I am not a lawyer, I just study gun control laws)

Q: May a person (who is not an alien) who resides in one State and owns property in another State purchase a handgun in either State?

If a person maintains a home in 2 States and resides in both States for certain periods of the year, he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a handgun in that State. However, simply owning property in another State does not qualify the person to purchase a handgun in that State.

[27 CFR 478.11]

So long as it is a residential home and you actually live there, you are good to go. Non-residential property, rental property (that you rent to someone else), business property, etc., are not good to go.

I currently reside in NJ and have all the proper credentials to buy a firearm in NJ. However I do have a secondary home in AZ and would like to purchase a gun out there to keep in that home.

Is this possible legally?

thanks

Welcome to the Forum, By the way, being you can only have 1 DL and assuming you have a NJ DL, have you gotten yourself a AZ ID yet. I know a bunch of people who live in AZ and have an AZ ID's but still maintain their DL from another state that they live in also. I do know that the AZ ID is good enough to purchase firearms while in AZ.

Q: May a person (who is not an alien) who resides in one State and owns property in another State purchase a handgun in either State?

If a person maintains a home in 2 States and resides in both States for certain periods of the year, he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a handgun in that State. However, simply owning property in another State does not qualify the person to purchase a handgun in that State.

[27 CFR 478.11]

Any idea how this plays out practically? How do you prove residency in the other state (to get a DL) without surrendering your NJ license?

Any idea how this plays out practically? How do you prove residency in the other state (to get a DL) without surrendering your NJ license?

As far as I know, you can only have one drivers license. (Please correct me if I am wrong). To get around this and have dual state residency. Have a state issued non drivers ID for one state. And a drivers license from another state.

Utility bills, phone bills, water bill, waste garbage collection bill, birth certificate, ss # card (maybe) might be needed to get a State Issued non drivers ID in another state. (Like Arizona)

Keep the NJ drivers license.

They are both legal ID's