Mr.G

Transporting Pistol Lower Receiver or Frame

Yowza. There is nothing preventing you from taking a firearm, following proper transport procedures, to your friends house for him to perform work on it (clean, troubleshoot, safety function check). There is no 'gun-smith' certification process. We are all gunsmiths.

There is the rub. A friend's house is not one of the exemptions allowed by law. It all really boils down to how obsessive you want to be about following the letter of the law to the finest detail. If I did that, I could never pick up my friends to carpool to the range if I had handguns with me. I wouldn't be able to make a pit stop along the way to and from the range/gun store/owed place of business for anything other than gasoline and/or potty break. When laws are written as poorly as ours, they leave plenty of room for interpretation. In a gun-unfriendly state like ours, giving discretion to cops/prosecutors/judges that is a bad thing when it comes to firearms and freedom in general.

Another example of now NJ laws contradict themselves.

To purchase a receiver or "serialized part" of a gun, NJ law demands that it be treated as the firearm. FPID is required, and pistol frames/serialized part need PPP and NICS, long gun COE and NICS. Yet, the NJ legal definition of what a "firearm" is defined as, does not match up with receiver/frame/serialized parts of guns when they are alone. The logic is broken.

I'm not including federal laws here as that is not what is in question. I cannot find any NJ law that adds in "whatever Federal law thinks is a firearm, we follow that also".

OK, now I see where the disconnect is. BTW, it's not just firearms laws that are written this poorly. It's actually EVERYTHING in NJ statutes seems to be written by a monkey with a drinking problem.

Another example of now NJ laws contradict themselves.

To purchase a receiver or "serialized part" of a gun, NJ law demands that it be treated as the firearm. FPID is required, and pistol frames/serialized part need PPP and NICS, long gun COE and NICS. Yet, the NJ legal definition of what a "firearm" is defined as, does not match up with receiver/frame/serialized parts of guns when they are alone. The logic is broken.

I'm not including federal laws here as that is not what is in question. I cannot find any NJ law that adds in "whatever Federal law thinks is a firearm, we follow that also".

I don't see broken logic. Every state makes the serialized part go through an FFL for transfer. NJ law lays out the state requirements to acquire a serialized part with FID, COE, P2P, etc.. Perhaps the disconnect is that NJ law does not specifically differentiate between "firearm" and "serialized part". Another paragraph of NJ law lays out the requirements to transfer a firearm.

Some on this thread assume that NJ law treats serialized part as a firearm for the transport rules even though serialized part does not necessarily meet the definition of "firearm" as defined by NJ law. I cannot find any NJ law that adds in "whatever Federal law thinks is a firearm". Therefore, the only definition of Firearm that is required is the one provided by NJ law and a simple handgun frame does not meet this definition.

You need to go through FFL to purchase the HG frame but it's not a firearm until you have the components to make it shoot.