iRescue

Making an AR purchase

Many around the country are buying AR rifles because of the upcoming election and recent events that may spark the anti-gun control debate.

While some may have the financial resources to go out and drop around 1k or more on a gun - some may not have the funds.

What do you recommend for those that do not have the money yet would like to get an AR before its too late?

Would getting a stripped lower be a smart move? My thinking is that you can later get all the other parts necessary since the lower is the serialized part.

Just trying to help out those that say they want an AR and can't afford it.

Anyone finding any shops in NJ with good deals on ARs?

I don't know what you mean by "before it's too late." Do you think ARs will be made illegal?

Anti-gunners mumble, gunners get nervous, prices go up.

I have a M&P sport that cost $650. It serves my purposes. If you want to build one later, buy a stripped lower now.

You would most definitely be able to build one for less money. Getting the stripped lower now seems like a good idea since it is serialized and would hopefully be grandfathered should some sort of new ban go into effect in the future (bite my tongue).

As for shops in NJ. I purchased my AR from Arms and Ammo (forum vendor here) and his prices were really good compared to some other shops in my area. I ended up traveling over an hour away to buy my AR from him and was completely satisfied with my purchase and the pricing. He's got several listed on his website along with stripped lowers too.

Anselmo - I'm not suggesting that they will be made illegal. I do agree with you that legislators are now "talking the talk" - but most likely nothing new will happen.

However, there are some that are not comforted by this and will go out and make purchases. I'm merely trying to stoke a conversation on how people can with limited budgets can get into the world of AR ownership.

I've been going in stages. A couple months ago I picked up an LPK and optics. Last week I got my lower receiver. Saving up for the upper, however I think I will be getting another lower or two just for insurance. The lowers aren't too hard to get a hold of, its the uppers that seem to be on indefinite back-order!