RxBandit

Looking to buy my first handgun!

I bought the Ruger SR22 back in March and I love it. It's cheap to shoot, has interchangeable grips and magazine plates. The only thing with the pistol is it doesn't like anything really below 36 grain. Which shouldn't be a problem finding. Federal, American Eagle and I'm sure others make 500+ bulks cheap. If I remember correctly I walked out the door with mine for 400.

glad to hear that, i found a place with a great price. Happy to know others are enjoying it.

Finally got it! Went with the Ruger SR22! Very happy with it so far, changed the grip to the bigger one and also added the extensions to the mags, definitely feels better in my hand. Haven't gone out to shoot yet and I have a question about that, I still need to pick up ears and eyes and also ammo, should I just buy ammo at the range? Probably going to the Bullet Hole, how are their prices? And should I pick up a few different brands to see how it goes? I'm going to have to do some research on ammo because even just .22LR is not specific enough from what I understand...there are different speeds, grain...etc...so yeah, what do you guys think? And where should I get ears and eyes from?

Thanks in advance and happy to be a gun owner!

RxB

They ll have 22 lr ammo anywhere you go. Dont know how much it costs at the Bullet Hole , but i think it was 15$ an hour to shoot or seothing like that.

You can also order online , but for 22 i would not do that. Just go to your favourite gun shop and get a few different brands and weights and see what your ruger likes.

As for eyes and ears , any Walmart should have the basics , also home depot and lowes have the plastic eyeglasses and muffs.

Go to Ramsey Outdoor or Dicks , they should have all the ammo , eyes , ears you need.....

I'd recommend CCI Mini Mags 40gr for the first few hundred rounds. After that you can look at the cheaper alternatives.

I personally do most of my shopping on the Internet as greater choice and more convenient. Where I can I will support local shops.

Eyes - personal choice - many options - research on Internet. If shooting outside then also probably need tinted. Make sure they are for shooting and not just standard plastic glasses.

Ears - Howard Leight are some competitively priced (~$45) electronic ear muffs that you'll see many shooters using. can get them from Amazon among other places: http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O . Electronic muffs are good so you can still hear and communicate with people.

Ears 2 - also recommend ear plugs as when shooting indoors you may prefer to double up (ear plugs and ear muffs) particularly when you have someone else shooting an AR or .45ACP in the range.

Ammo - As mentioned above - I'd suggest CCI MiniMags. Check the prices local and compare with SGAmmo, AmmunitionToGo etc which are some of the main Internet ammunition retaileds

Cleaning kit - get a .22 boresnake, cleaning patches and some CLP. Should be sufficient to get you going

Cleaning gloves - I bought a box of nitrile gloves to wear when cleaning, many people don't however you're dealing with potentially strong chemicals.

TheWombat