Sign in to follow this  
bulpup

crud out of Blazer .38 Special?

I was out shooting my LCR for the first time this weekend and everytime I shot the 38 special ammo there was this translucent green gunpowder flaky looking crud all over my bench directly underneath where I shot from.

It almost looked like sand and didn't have the consistancy or smell of gunpowder, but it was definitly gunpowder-esque.

Do manufacturers load some ammo with filler or something? I didn't get any of that when I shot .357 Magnum out of it.

Probably just unburnt powder. You are shooting it out of a short barreled revolver - some escapes through the B/C gap and with the short barrel there is not enough time to burn it all completely. That's another advantage of handloading. You can tailor the powder used to the firearm. In factory SD ammo, Speer Gold Dot makes a line for short barreled firearms. Nothing to worry about unless there was a noticeable inconsistency from shot to shot, in which case you may be dealing with a contaminent of some kind - slim chance, but possible.

Adios,

Pizza Bob