Sign in to follow this  
Rifleman1

Binocular Shopping Guide

I am starting to research binoculars to make a purchase. I understand that the more compact binoculars use a roof prism design. I'll be shopping for a pair to carry with me for medium distances and for the bug out bag, and also pair for longer range surveillance, say 1,000 - 2,000 yards. I'd like them to be waterproof and fogproof. I am trying to determine what size to get, 8x42, 10x42, 12x42, 7x50, 10x50, etc. and keep the price below $200.

From what I've read so far, to be functional in most lighting conditions including low light and twilight, the exit pupil diameter of the binocular needs to be around 5 (for example, an “8x42” has a 5.25mm exit pupil because 42/8=5.25) and your eye pupil diameter should be smaller than that to be comfortable using in those lighting conditions.

Another consideration, is that if you're using the binoculars from an unsteady observation point (such as a boat), you will need a model with an exit pupil diameter greater than your pupil’s diameter while in use. This compensates for the erratic movement of your pupil relative to the exit pupil of the binocular, and explains why boating binoculars have such large objectives despite often being used in favorably bright lighting conditions.

So, can I get your suggestions on brand, size and why you may have chosen the ones you have?

My Leica zoom binoculars are WAY more than your budget, but they're the last pair I'll ever buy.

That being said, I'd look for something well-cared for but used, or see if a store wanted to get rid of last year's model. Look at $400 price range MSRP and see what they're selling for used in good shape. You could save a ton of coin that way......

Anything over 12x will be too shakey in most circumstances, especially those used in any vehicles.