woodentoe

Signed up for Hunter's Ed 10/21/12

So, I've signed up to take Hunter's Ed on 10/21/12 at Black River WMA in Chester. I'm going to see if I can walk on this Sunday, but the date is just gone from the schedule on the site. Since it is a month out, I signed up for all three disciplines. I suppose that if I'm not able to get a bow and feel comfortable, then I just won't test in it. But, I'm confident on safe handling, loading and shooting the ML and shotgun.

Since I have ZERO Archery experience. Could someone help me get started? I've read that x-bow will be easier to test with in shorter order. I'd like to LEARN how to use a trad bow, but my near term goal is to pass the test.

If anyone can offer pointers, or suggestions on a low cost xbow that will get me past the field day (I won't hunt unless I'm confident on my ability), or even if anyone happens to have a beater bow or xbow I could borrow to learn on I'd be much obliged.

I'm excited to learn and am hoping I enjoy hunting as much as I think I will.

-Jim

So, I've signed up to take Hunter's Ed on 10/21/12 at Black River WMA in Chester. I'm going to see if I can walk on this Sunday, but the date is just gone from the schedule on the site. Since it is a month out, I signed up for all three disciplines. I suppose that if I'm not able to get a bow and feel comfortable, then I just won't test in it. But, I'm confident on safe handling, loading and shooting the ML and shotgun.

Since I have ZERO Archery experience. Could someone help me get started? I've read that x-bow will be easier to test with in shorter order. I'd like to LEARN how to use a trad bow, but my near term goal is to pass the test.

If anyone can offer pointers, or suggestions on a low cost xbow that will get me past the field day (I won't hunt unless I'm confident on my ability), or even if anyone happens to have a beater bow or xbow I could borrow to learn on I'd be much obliged.

I'm excited to learn and am hoping I enjoy hunting as much as I think I will.

-Jim

Jim,

Trad bows are great, but require LOTS of practice. I've been shooting a recurve for about 4 or 5 months now, and practice just about weekly at my range or in my back yard, and I have to tell you that it will take a lot of time until you are good enough with it until you can hunt with it. You are right that your immediate goal is to pass the hunters ed test... but I'd also caution you to not spend money on a cheap crossbow that you're going to end up needing to upgrade anyway. You're better off spending just a little bit of cash and buying a used but in good condition compound bow. If you can practice for the next few weeks until you take the test, you'll be easily able to pass with the compound bow. For the test they will ask you to get 3 arrows in the vitals of your target from about 15 to 20 yrds. With a compound bow, that will be easy.

Do you know what your draw length and draw weight is? If so, I have a very nice compound bow that I picked up from a fellow NJGF member for the same exact purpose as you. Since I got it from the previous owner I had it serviced and put new strings, silencers, and etc on it and had it tuned up... so the bow shoots great. It comes with a bunch of new arrows that I bought for it, some hunting broadheads and a quiver too. The NJGF member that sold it to me, had a condition that he wanted me to pass this onto a new bowhunter for the same price that he sold it to me for, just as he did with me. If you're interested, let me know and I can send you some more details. $150 for a complete compound bow set that will get you past your test and that you can also easily hunt with... Once you get some more experience and want to upgrade, I'd just ask that you keep on the tradition and pass this on to another new bowhunter as well.

PM me if you're interested.

So? How did you do?

Well, I have to say it was a long and arduous day. There were what seemed like a few hundred people there. I arrived at 7:30am and didn't finish until almost 2pm. I chose NOT to do archery since I haven't been able to pull the funds together to purchase TOny's bow (I've got three little ones at home, and I don't even own my shotgun yet..lol) It's a darn good thing I didn't or else I'd have been there past 4pm.

It took hours of standing around to shoot the requisite few rounds of shotgun, rimfire and muzzleloader. I was responsible and safe and then passed the written test.

It seemed to me, however, that there were a great many people there waiting on line to shoot that would probably never hunt...ever. Lots of guys with their kids, who will def hunt. But, it seemed there were a number of people that went just to have an opportunity to squeeze off a few rounds. This seems like a terrible way to go about it considering I was there for 7 hours and shot a total of 5 rounds. It definitely clogged up the works.

But, I'm done now and I can get my license. If I go back within a year to do archery, I don't have to do the field walk or re-take the general, shotgun and muzzleloader sections of the written test. The guy said I could be in and out in an hour or so since I could do the archery first thing (no firearm shooting before 9am) So, that is the next thing. All in all, I'm glad I got it. Now I just need to figure out what I will do with it.

Hey, congrats on passing and getting your license. That's great! I can't believe there were that many people there. Wow! I read the handbook, watched the DVD, and filled out the workbook and that's as far as I have gotten. I don't have a gun or a bow to practice so I'm kind of at a standstill right now. But that's ok. I don't think I would be able to kill a deer anyway. The guilt would be too much for me to handle. (But yet I don't have a problem going fishing - go figure). Anyway, enjoy hunting!

Linda,

I did the coursework online at huntercourse.com. When you compelte it you just print out the certificate and show up with it. As far as practice...they aren't looking for you to hit a bullseye. what they want to see is that you aren't afraid and that you understand basic safe handling at all times. If you take the basic pistol course you posted about in the otehr thread, you'd be already there. With archery, the test is an accuracy test. The reason is that while firearms (rifles and shotguns) kill by hydrostatic shock (the displacement of organs through wound channels created by the projectile), arrow kill through exsanguination (blood loss) If you gut shoot a deer by mistake with a .50 muzzleloader, it's going to die more quickyl than if you accidentally gut shoot it with an arrow. The reason being that the projectile will break up inside the deer and create secondary and tertiary wound channels. The arrow is basically a flying razor blade. So, for hunter's ed with a bow...you need to practice. That's why i didn't take it.

Also, there are lots of game species to hunt in NJ that are smaller than deer but just as delicious. Rabbit, squirrel, grouse, pheasants, wild turkeys, ducks, geese.

I am becoming of the mind that for me to eat meat (which I do) and refuse to take part in the dirty work of getting it is kind of douche-ee. Gutting a fish isn't pleasant, but eating it sure is. I think it is time for me to man up.