mattio41

Walking-Hiking Stick W/ Blade

Looking for some guidance and some opinions on to the legality of such an item. I found this, and thought this was cool for many reasons. First, It would be nice in a bug out situation, because it would give you some sense protection, without being obvious, such as a rifle slung over your shoulder. But even more so, i would not mind being able to take this out on the trails. total length would be about 4.5 - 5 feet.

As for what is my "Legal Purpose" of having, obviously, a defense against predatory animals while hiking the trails with my wife and dog.

Comments ??? Advise ??? Instructions as to staying within the law ???

0.jpg

Knife is embedded into the shaft of the bottom half.

Screenshot2012-09-25at92132AM_zpsbbbe1cea.png

Knife is sheathed into top half

Screenshot2012-09-25at92229AM_zps2f6f5f02.png

Top portion is weighted at top, for use as a club.

Screenshot2012-09-25at92340AM_zps108c8e49.png

concealed weapon..... I wouldnt do it...

what does the law say in that regard?

my understanding is "illegal without explainable lawful purpose" self defense not being a lawful purpose...

so a big stick with a steak knife on the end of it.. legal on a wooded trail hiking? to use as a "tool" maybe

the same knife walking down the streets of Newark? illegal IMO..

i do not have that at my fingertips...BUT it is CLEARLY concealed..I would submit to you that having just the hiking stick alone and say a blet knife is more explainable than a hiking stick with a hidden knife....

i do not have that at my fingertips...BUT it is CLEARLY concealed..I would submit to you that having just the hiking stick alone and say a blet knife is more explainable than a hiking stick with a hidden knife....

Yes, I would have to say it is "Concealed", which would make it ideal in a bug out, because no one would know you had it. Now as far as everyday living. yes, your right, Walking down the Streets of newark, definitely a no no !! backpacking the Appalachian trail, or camping in Poconos? Bears?? or other. I would like to have as much room between myself and that animal I can, without having to depend on a knife on my belt.

Does protecting yourself from a wild animal considered "Self Defense" if in fact on the trail??

I make walking sticks so I am always interested in new ideas. I do like that one, but is the blade properly fitted into the shaft? I would be afraid of it breaking off and then loosing the blade.

I have made several sticks with a Veritas Brass Cane and Staff Tip from Lee Valley. The machined tip is fitted, then attached to the end of the shaft, and then you have the option of screwing on a rubber tip or a very pointy steel tip. The steel tip is an excellent defensive tool for 2 or 4 legged predators and will not draw unnecessary attention. If you would like more info, PM me.