ruger9

BB gun targets (DIY)

Looking for a DIY BB gun target I could set up in my backyard... I never thought of bb collection, but I see some people have target rigs that do that. Just looking to prop something up against the shed for plinking...

My first thought was simply wallboard insulation, and pin the targets to it. But no bb collection that way...

Just wondering what some of your guys' setups are...?

hmm... maybe something using just good ol' fashioned CANS... I usually have tons of them... maybe something to put the cans on, something to stop the BBs (and I'm talking BBs, not pellets), and easily moveable/storable behind the shed...

I did a post on this back around 12 months ago I think - I came up with a design for home made target boxes that worked ok. The thread was called something like 'home range'. Not perfect but may give you some ideas.

TheWombat

Gamo used to sell one for pellets. I've using mine for years.

Try using pieces of carpet hanging in a box in front of layers of thick rubber. The BB's will punch thru the first layer of carpet, which also prevent richochets and the rubber causes the BB's to drop to the bottom of the box.

a BB from a Red Ryder can punch thru carpet? This isn't a pump gun, just a little 350fps lever action.

I like the idea of knocking over tin cans (instead of shooting a paper target), so I think I'll try to figure something out in that direction, with something behind them to keep the BBs from going anywhere else .... I'd like the "backdrop" to be weather-proof tho... it's something I'd just put behind the shed when not in use (so no carpet). Maybe some insulation board, painted black...

Or, at least, an old comforter maybe as a backdrop, I can keep it in the garage, and just put the "frame" behind the shed...

I'll search for your thread Wombat.

On the subject of the BBs themselves, I see there is such a thing as biodegradable BBs?? Anyone make them in .177? And do they work in the Red Ryder type?

Not the prettiest setup but it works and is cheap. I use an empty box of fruit snacks we get our kids from the BJs. I put a piece of 1x8x10 or so in the box on a slight angle facing down. The BBs break thru the box and the wood knocks them down. I paste or stick an EZ see target on it and done. Works great for about 200 rounds, then turn box around.

This looks perfect, except I'd want something alot longer, to set a row of cans in front of:

http://www.crosman.c...ar/targets/0852

...I could probably build one out of wood easy enuff, or better yet a large storage tupperware, maybe use a rubber car mat "curtain".... hmm... totally weather-proof, lightweight, saves the BBs, I think I may be formulating a plan...

Never mentioned it was a child's Red Ryder....so excuuuuuse me for trying to help. Biodegradable BB's...nice!

Ha! Yeah... it's MINE tho. lol I hadn't realized just how crazy popular airguns had gotten... crazy stuff out there now.... I'll probably start looking into some of the more advanced stuff myself... even tho it's not a real firearm (regardless of NJ's "opinion" on the subject), it would still be nice to be able to practice accuracy and plinking in the back yard instead of having to drive to the range all the time... easier, more convenient, cheaper.

1 large tupperware

1 set cheap car mats

construction adhesive

4 lag bolts/nuts/washer

...a hair over $20, I can put the lid on it & leave it outside, I can shoot full cans if I want to and just hose it out when done, and I can trap any bbs that don't penetrate the cans. Whaddya think?

post-5413-0-70534000-1348775880_thumb.jpg

Has anyone ever heard of problems shooting BB or pellet guns in their backyards in NJ? Because, looking at it from NJ law's ridiculous mindset, a BB gun is a firearm, and if you shoot it in your backyard, you are "discharging a firearm" within the town limits (and most towns ban discharge of firearms).

My guess is this is a law that is never enforced in that way, but I'd be interested if anyone has had a bad experience.

I used to shoot a Umarex copy of a S&W revolver pellet gun at a pellet trap in my basement all the time, great practice. I wish I had a basement to practice in now.

That's me... I think it's probably technically illegal, but I'm not that worried about it. So are ground fires, and people have fire pits all the time. Especially since I'm not shooting a high-powered 1300fps pellet gun, just a "toy" Daisy Red Ryder, the BB wouldn't even make it into my neighbor's yard... but yeah- I'll bet it's technically illegal. I know guys who shoot .22s in there backyards in NJ. They also don't live in a highly populated neighborhood, but it's still illegal.

Nice set up.

Not a toy in the eyes of the NJSP. You still need a FID to purchase it.

A friend who is on the job in town, stated that the law is "discharging a firearm within 150 yards of a residence is NJ is illegal". Doesn't matter if it is in your basement, backyard or in another dimension. Your relationship with the local LEO is going to be the biggest factor if someone complains.

On a side note, I practice with my Gamo shooting into a steel trap inside my shed on occassion.