YWHIC

VEPR 54R Changes

I started the project. I shoot in NJ so everything has to be pin/welded..

JP Cooley 5/8-24R Comp/Brake to be pinned.

VLTOR AK stock tube to be pinned.

DPH (no cut) stock adaptor from CSS

Hogue Grip

parts.jpg

The DPH part dropped in.. you do have to dremel the TOP of the factory bushing/nut to get it to swing in..

bushing.jpg

The HOUGE AK grip needed modding as the hole is set to far back.. option is to widen the HOLE toward the front.. or get a different grip.

You have to MOD the VLTOR AK tube to fit the DPH adaptor

tubeslant.jpg

Just about 1/8" off the TOP shelf and a hair off both sides..

fullMOD.jpg

You have to modify the smallest fill plate of the 3 that came with the VLTOR.. go SLOW..

plasticMOD.jpg

Finished minuse the EMOD stock and CSS round SLOTTED forearm..

overallPIC.jpg

I will be changing the HOGUE out as I dremeled the FRONT area next to the trigger guard and its looks like crapola..

grip.jpg

I LOST about 3 5/16" over the factory wood by going this route..

difference.jpg

I installed (after I drilled it for a pin) the JP Cooley Comp/Brake today..

Tapers down pretty good to the FSB..

CooleyComp.jpg

Decided since I will be pinning the stock to go with the basic CTR with .70 buttpad (this thing kicks).. I ordered that today..

Stay tuned..

Well heres a 90% photo as I have to wait for that corrected slotted forearm (shown above)..

The Dinzag modified G2 for VEPR 54R/308 was a drop-in.. he rocks..

Notched and polished the G2 abit as well (on left)..

triggersOUT.jpg

New MagPul CTR stock (pinned) with 0.70" enhanced pad on position #2 is a 12 1/2" LOP with 9 5/8" from the squared part of the receiver (the original wood was 10 7/8").. which matches my old Saiga 308 (which was 9 1/2")..

Overall VERY HAPPY..

90percent.jpg

For those that want to know.. mesurements approximate.

1st position is 11 1/2" LOP and 8 3/8"

2nd is above 12 1/2" LOP and 9 5/8"

3rd position is 13 1/4" LOP and 10 1/8"

4th position is 14" LOP and 10 15/16"

5th position is 14 3/4" LOP and 11 5/8"

Drilled and tapped the Comp/Brake for 8-32 and used a tiny SS 8-32 screw (bought online).. recess it abit for the next step.

PinBrake.jpg

And then a HF Mig welder on low 25 amps.. (not 80/90)..

PinWeld.jpg

Clean it up with a dremel or leave as is..

The CTR has 2 holes next to the friction lock mechanism.. mark with pencil.. remove stock and drill thru the AL..

Then use a 1/8" trigger guard roll pin from AR (or 2).. make sure to not go thru both sides.. and then epoxy over..

PinStock.jpg

Added a 3-9x40 Sightron Mil-Dot scope.. shot another 120 rounds.. (now at 340)..

Shot 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards.. I had to move the stock back 1 click for proper eye relief.

RifleScpeSm.jpg

100yard.jpg

The JP Cooley Comp/Brake really helped cut the 'kick' down as well..

Very happy camper..

So I got my modified VEPR Slotted AR Style Forearm today from CSS..

Heres a picture of the step CSS mills into the newer ones so they can drop right into the VEPR receiver front end..

Before.jpg

It still would not quite slide in.. so dremel-fu was needed to get it under the trunnion..

Remove.jpg

And..

UpdateHG2.jpg

UpdateHG3.jpg

UpdateHG1.jpg

Finally done..