Sign in to follow this  
Blake

COE for out of state rifle purchase?

I'm quite sure Walmart can afford enough legal counsel that that is NOT the case. They aren't going to risk a lawsuit. It's not a willy-nilly decision on their part, they have a map, in the gun dept, provided by WM, showing what states they can and can't sell to, as I said- there are a few, FL being one, but NJ is A-OK.

And I'm sure I'm not the first non-contiguous-state resident to have purchased from WM. If they were violating law, the OH attorney general would be on it.

Maybe Ohio changed their law? but i was told last year by a dealer he could do a transaction for that reason and the follow up reading I've done on it said he was correct. But again, I'm no authority on Ohio law, maybe you want to go to an Ohio gun forum and ask, they'd probably know.

EDIT: Walmart violated the law, here is Ohio's law.

2923.22 Interstate transactions in firearms.

(A) Any resident of Ohio age eighteen or over, and not prohibited by section 2923.13 or 2923.15 of the Revised Code or any applicable law of another state or the United States from acquiring or using firearms, may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun, or ammunition therefor in Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania, or West Virginia.

(B) Any resident of Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania, or West Virginia, age eighteen or over, and not prohibited by section 2923.13 or 2923.15 of the Revised Code or the laws of his domicile or the United States from acquiring or using firearms, may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun, or ammunition therefor in Ohio.© Any purchase and sale pursuant to this section shall be for such purposes and under such circumstances and upon such conditions as are prescribed by the “Gun Control Act of 1968,” 82 Stat. 1213, 18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3), and any amendments or additions thereto or reenactments thereof.

Effective Date: 01-01-1974