Sign in to follow this  
average joe

Florida CCW

I have family living in Florida, I travel there several times a year, and sometimes stay there for a few weeks at at time.... If i get the Florida CCW, can I purchase a handgun with it in Florida ? I plan on leaving the handgun there. I don't want to transport one from Jersey all the time....What are my options ?

A Florida carry license does not itself give you the right to purchase handguns in Florida (or, to take possession of them anyway). You need to have residency in the state in order to purchase handguns there.

Keep in mind that if you try to find some loophole, NJ will probably find some way to charge you with something (remember, police here become pitbulls when it comes to firearms violations).

IANAL, but as far as i know, You don't need a permit to buy or own a handgun in Florida, just a permit to concealed carry it. If you're gonna leave the gun there and only carry it when in the state, you are fine.

IANAL, but as far as i know, You don't need a permit to buy or own a handgun in Florida, just a permit to concealed carry it. If you're gonna leave the gun there and only carry it when in the state, you are fine.

But unless he has Florida residency, he is violating federal law by taking possession of a handgun in a state other than his home state...

OK, I live in Florida after living most of my life in NJ. If you buy a gun from a gun store you will have to show your Florida driver's license, even if you have a Florida ccw license. However, private sales do not require any paperwork or performing any checks BUT you are not allowed to "knowingly" sell to a non resident, felon, minor or anyone not legally allowed to buy a firearm under Federal law. So it is sort of don't ask, don't tell.

Sadly sometimes gun are sold to the seasonal snowbirds and vacationers that come to Florida. Many of the locals are not well versed on gun laws as they often buy their guns from private sellers where there is no documentation involved, no NICS, or any required proof of residency. They exchange cash for their gun and then do the same when they sell. The responsible and more knowledgeable gun owners will only sell to someone with at least a resident FL driver's license and some of us will only sell if they also have a resident FL ccw license. I do the latter but mostly take a beating and trade in my guns for new ones as I have run into one too many buyers who are not allowed to buy a gun in Florida. Just do not want to deal with that.

P.S. here they are CCW Licenses since we do not need permission to carry, just a license to do so. :) Also note that although there is no registration requirement, FFL dealers are required to keep records and provide them to law enforcement upon demand. However that only works if the gun crime occurred in the same area where the gun was bought from an FFL and even then it requires more manpower than most small town Sheriffs have to shift though thousands of paper documents from a dozen or more local gun dealers. Down here every pawn shop sells guns both new and used and they are as numerous as Starbucks in NYC. :)

I always fly there, I never drive, if I did, then I would just bring one of mine down, and leave it there.... What if I get a relative to purchase one, and just borrow it when I am there, would that be legal ? I don't plan on taking it out of Florida, just carry it when I am there...and leave it there when I come back to Jersey...

I always fly there, I never drive, if I did, then I would just bring one of mine down, and leave it there.... What if I get a relative to purchase one, and just borrow it when I am there, would that be legal ? I don't plan on taking it out of Florida, just carry it when I am there...and leave it there when I come back to Jersey...

Sounds like a straw purchase - you, a prohibited person, since you are not a FL resident - have someone purchase the gun for you. That's a federal no-no.

Adios,

Pizza Bob