njluger

Rubber Grip Recommendation for S&W M28-2

When I purchased my S&W M28 a year ago, it came with some really nice wood grips. This past week, I finally got out to a range that allowed me to shoot .357 magnums. It was a lot of fun, but I must say, I was surprised by the beating my palm took from the exposed backstrap! I'm used to shooting powder-puff .38 spl loads so this was a big jump in felt recoil. This experience got me thinking to pick up some rubber grips that cover up the backstrap. Which grips can you recommend?

I picked up a set of the Pachmayr Decelerator grips (http://www.pachmayr.com/home/decelerator-grids.php) but I must say, they feel cheap and the fit leaves much to be desired. For example, I can't even completely tighten the screw that holds the grips onto the frame as it will protrude from the opposite side if tightened all the way.

Searching online, I saw that the s&w m500 grips made by Hogue, wrap around and cover the backstrap as well and that they fit n-frame. Downside is that they only seem to come in round to square butt...the m28 has a square butt. Will square butt frames fit into grips for round butt frames?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765464_-1_758003_757843_757837_ProductDisplayErrorView_N

Any other recommendations I should look at?

Will square butt frames fit into grips for round butt frames?

No they won't. I would bet that the backstrap isn't your problem, it is just the design of the heel of the stocks you have tried. I have some rubber finger-groove Hogues that you can try - they have long been my favorite grip. I'll be shooting an IDPA match at SCFGPA on 1/20, if you want to stop by and pick them up. If you want them sooner, you'll have to come to me. You can PM me or respond in this thread. Pachmayr signatures may work for you also, although I replaced all of mine with Hogues.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob is always on top of revolver questions!

Only thing left to add is to make sure what ever grips you decide upon have enough room for a speed-loader. The OEM grips look just beautiful, but form doesn't always follow function, as the wood originals are notorious for making reloads "on-the-clock" a sheer TERROR, which is why Old Fudds (like myself) playing Gun Games usually replace the originals. The shorter .38 shells seem not to be as much of a problem in some models however, such as my 4" tubed 586.......

Enjoy the Wheelgun!

Dave

Just a quick update, for $18 I figured I'd give the Hogue monogrips a try...they're awesome! Quality and fit of the Hogues is leaps and bounds over the Pachmayrs and I sent those back to the store I got them from. Amazing feel vs the football sized wood grips I had on it before!

I'll try to put some .357 rounds through the gun this weekend and I'll see how it feels.