ogfarmer

ultrasonic cleaner ?

Was thinking of getting a ultrasonic cleaner. Saw a review of one from harbour freight http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html

was wondering if anyone has used a ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning old parts

I was gonna use it for a bunch of different things

I have the same model as the OP posted, for the money it's excellent and really works.

I have removed cosmo from more trigger goups, and small springs with it then I can remember.

It's worth the money for sure.

what did you you as solution to remove the cosmo?

Water and simple green concentrate, run it on the hot on the longer cycle 5-6 times and 90% of it is off.

I then take it out put in the the parts washer, run fresh water over it all scrub a bit with a brush dry and oil.

It cuts the process in half for the internals.

I bought mine off of amazon, its the same model paid around the same price. I used it to clean brass and works very well with just vinegar for 3 cycles. I use it to clean jewelry and also as others mentioned I used it on gun parts and helps with getting cosmo off. I still have to do use it for my mosin parts see how it comes out, I kind of backed off using it for the brass because tumbling gave similar results but I didnt have to worry about making sure the brass was totally dry and their was no water in the primer pockets.

Water and simple green concentrate, run it on the hot on the longer cycle 5-6 times and 90% of it is off.

I then take it out put in the the parts washer, run fresh water over it all scrub a bit with a brush dry and oil.

It cuts the process in half for the internals.

What's the ratio? I saw a video and people commented there was to much water.

Just be careful with the ultrasonic cleaners. They do not play well with springs.

Or baked-on surfaces either. One of my friends found this out after a vibro-soak when his OD green paint job was floating on the top of the solution!

Or baked-on surfaces either. One of my friends found this out after a vibro-soak when his OD green paint job was floating on the top of the solution!

Yeah, I heard that it will take the Park off as well as the paint on sights.

FYI - I have that same machine the OP posted, it seems to work well.

Yeah, I heard that it will take the Park off as well as the paint on sights.

FYI - I have that same machine the OP posted, it seems to work well.

Never had issues with it removing the finish off a weapon. I have put my Kimer 1911 slide in it and it's 100%.

I wonder what they were using for the solution in the ultrasonic.