Sign in to follow this  
kotkot

can't make it on 13th, but wrote a letter. can someone hand it in?

Gents,

can't take off from work on short notice unfortunately.. but I wrote a letter.. anyone cares to deliver it? hand it in in person, or just present it?

I will of course fax and email it.. but wanted to make an impact at the hearing..

Also, I am applying Dr. Carson suggestion of dropping Polit Correctness in favor of frank talk..

Dear members of the commission,

Thank you for giving me an opportunity to speak here today and share my thoughts on proposed legislature as well as current state of NJ firearms law..

To start with, I first, would like to tell the commission about myself. I am a father of 2 elementary school kids. I am not a hunter. I am not a maniac or conspiracy theory supporter, I am just a normal guy with a healthy belief in US constitution and bill of rights. I have no criminal or mental health record of any kind and my family easily paid over $100k last year is taxes. I am US citizen and I am a competitive shooter. Shooting is my sport. I do it for pleasure, the thrill of competition and advancement of the skills and techniques that directly benefit local law enforcement community and US military. And what we will discuss today is infringement on my basic rights. Right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

Now, I would like to ask you, members of the commission,

How many of you possess NJ FID? Concealed weapon license? How many have recently purchase a handgun or rifle? How long did you wait for your permits? has your local PD followed the laws and issued you permits in timely matter as prescribed by NJ law? let us ask the audience! Or were you given priority treatment because of your elected official status? How many of you participated in shooting competition or hunted recently? How many of you are intimately familiar with current NJ firearms laws and how they are being followed and enforced? How effective they are? What works and what does not work? What effect on crime had recent one gun per month law? Who can clearly explain the difference between military assault rifle, sporting AR-15 that I would use in competition and personal defense weapon that DHS is ordering in huge quantities? Why should I, law abiding citizen, be threaded differently and denied the same tool to protect my family, that government officials chose for themselves? Who can explain the purpose and function of hollow point bullet? Who can answer how many jacketed round nose 9mm rounds will instantly stop 300lb attacker from causing harm? 3 attackers?

I am willing to bet that non of you can clearly answer all my questions. And if this is the case, what credentials you have to make recommendations and vote proposed legislations?!?!? What credentials do legislators who proposed those bills have?

I will tell you. NONE! I am sorry, but you are not qualified! You supposed to be representatives of the people but which one of you here represents me? People in audience? You have nothing, other than empty and meaningless “we must do something” phrase.

Now, I am all for meaningful legislation that will keep weapons out hands of criminals and deranged individuals, but not a single law that's being proposed addresses that! All you are doing is further inhibit my family's ability to protect ourselves. Propose something constructive!

Imagine some guy in Newark, buying an illegal firearm on street corner and asking for 10rd mags and "plain" bullets because 17rds mags and armor piercing rounds are illegal? Who are you kidding here?! Who will this legislation make feel good? What purpose does it serve?

What purpose for ANY law here is, when firearms, parts, magazines with any capacity are easily acquired across the river without any permits??? Do you honestly believe that any criminal would rather go to local PD, local store and get harassed and questioned instead of simply for 20 minutes west? Proposed laws are a complete waste of time and money. Time and money that should be invested in finding real ways to truly reduce crime, promote employment and education.

I am not all about criticizing here. I do propose solutions.

First, review current ridiculous and convoluted firearm statues that most police officers do not understand, toss it all out and write something meaningful. Write something that does not make me a felon for having rifle with adjustable stock so it can fit my wife and me safely! Write laws that don't make me a felon by stopping for gas or bathroom break on the way from shooting range. Use the funds, otherwise used to prosecute law abiding people to toughen up enforcement of laws for using firearms in commission of violent crime. Lock them up and throw away the key! Throw out NJ assault weapon ban, and use federal law as guidance. Why NJ should be different? Why confuse everyone? Why competition shooters from other states do not come to NJ matches and do not contribute to local economy? They are afraid to be locked up for 5 years for having adjustable stock on their rifles!! And for using magazines that are perfectly legal in the rest of the country!

How many crimes are committed with long guns? stop prosecuting mistakes and Use the funds to enforce better, meaningful laws. Modernize current permit system. Use money, wasted to triple check NJ FID applicant to better enforce meaningful laws.

Now, public safety is very important topic, but what percentage of crimes are commited by NJ FID holders? Focus on criminals and criminal acts, not on further restriction on tools and law abiding citizens, who are contributing and voting members of the society and who do not commit crimes!

Lets also quickly talk about waste here.

We are all gathered here to discuss meaningless, unconstitutional legislations that will do nothing to combat crime but if passed, will cost taxpayers millions of dollars In legal costs, because “we the people” will challenge and fight it all the way to the supreme court. Think about all the people here, who took time from work to be here, to be voice of reason.. instead of contributing to tax base and grow the economy and create wealth.

Finally,

We do understand, that You all are acting in good faith. you want to do something to prevent shootings, to prevent violent crime, to save life's of innocent children! But all those great intentions are proven to be meaningless and are already are backfiring. All mass shootings happened in gunfire zones! You, unfortunately, cannot eradicate criminal behavior with passage of those laws. But what you will do, is waste millions in lawsuits, turn millions of law abiding citizens in to criminals and create mass non compliance. Take pause, don't rush. Make truly unbiased and educated decisions with real feedback from both sides, keeping law abiding, contributing members of society in mind.

Remember, all of those shortcoming and nearsightedness will backfire. All this waste WILL be remembered in next elections.

Thank you for your time.

You have many good points but your letter is too long and all of it will not be read.

I learned long ago effective writing basically boils down to three parts. The first is "BLUF", bottom line up front. Ideally your thesis is stated if not in the first sentence in the first paragraph. Second, support your thesis. Short sentences and avoid using those $100 words you learned in college. Last, restate your thesis and how what you wrote in closing.

Remember "brevity is the soul of wit".

this was meant as a speech..

as to grammar... not my strong point..English as second language and all..

in any case, anyone is willing to deliver this as a speech? or something along those lines and hold those suckers accountable?