wooly bugger

enlisting police chiefs for help

It occurred to me that if the 5 year FID renewal bill gets passed, police departments are going to be snowed under renewal applications.

I called, faxed, and emailed my police chief. I encourage others to do the same. Here's what I wrote:

Dear Mr. Weber,

I am writing to express my concerns with bill A3772, which will be discussed at the state assembly today.

This bill would mandate that FID holders renew their cards every five years, going through the same exhaustive process required for an initial application.

I know that yours and other departments are facing budgetary issues, and the FID issuance process is under strain. I fear that with constant renewals, the burden on you (and me) will become intolerable.

If you share my concerns, could you please call your fellow officer, Mr. Charles Mainor, who is chair of the Law & Public Safety Committee? He can be reached at:

[email protected]

Phone: 201-536-7851

Time is of the essence, as this legislation will be heard on Wednesday.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

It occurred to me that if the 5 year FID renewal bill gets passed, police departments are going to be snowed under renewal applications.

I called, faxed, and emailed my police chief. I encourage others to do the same. Here's what I wrote:

I borrowed your idea and after thanking the Chief for an excellent job with my FID, I expressed the concerns about A3772.... Thanks

I already thought of that-forget about "renewals". The initial change to the required photo FID will essentially invalidate everyone's FID in the state-at one time. If they can't handle the volume of new applicants, how could they ever support EVERYONE in the state AT THE SAME TIME. Which a deadline date is unattainable.