Sign in to follow this  
BigBlueQ

Your opinions on this technique for certain roll pins

I'm in the process of building my first AR and of course there are the roll pins to install. Some have recommended using needle nose pliers to hold the pin in place, others swear by the roll pin holder, for good reason.

I was thinking, however, about using a smaller punch diameter, slip it through the roll pin and into the hole. For argument's sake let's say the trigger guard hole with the trigger guard in place. That way the punch can extend into the hole on the lower and the guard, aligning the roll pin at the hole, and it will give you area (at the base of where the thin punch meets the handle of the punch) that can be used to "push" the roll pin in when struck normally at the end of the punch.

It seems like an easy solution, but my only concern would be that the base (larger than the pin) that was against the pin may deform the end of the pin. But wouldn't a larger sized punch used at the end of the pin do the same?

Don't know, haven't tried it yet. Your thoughts?

Update:

I went ahead and tried it on the trigger guard. I first tried to "crimp" one end slightly, then put Tetra grease on that end. Using the narrower diameter punch, I inserted the punch through the pin and lower and guard holes, aligning them. A couple of taps set it, and I finished the job with a roll pin punch. Success!