Sign in to follow this  
70gto

What 9mm SD ammo for short barrel handgun?

SO I pick up a glock 26, now I could use some input as far as bullet weight ammo for this little pocket rocket. I was thinking 124gr+p for the 26, or is it a waste because the short barrel wont burn up the extra powder. and just cause a bigger bang, muzzle flip, energy wasted? Should I go lighter in bullet weight / forget all about the +p and go standard velocity etc? Any input appreciated and I hope I explained the question right.

I've been carrying a 26 for about 13 years. I don't use +P ammo in 9mm. The velocity increase is not that much and will be less in a 26. It will also give you much more muzzle flash. With that out of the way you should use whatever JHP load first what feeds well in your gun (which should be about any). Secondly, what seems to be most accurate. I've used 115gr Silverrtips, 124gr Gold Dots, and 147gr Hydrashocks and they all worked well. I would pick Silvertips as my favorite. Don't get too wrapped up in seeking out the magic bullet. We all have favorites and that's understandable. However when you see someone who chimes in as if they were in a half a dozen gunfights last week with the superiority of XYZ 132gr JHP ammo as the only ammo to use...I'd take their advice with a grain of salt.

Just use whatever seems to work best in your gun.

Hornady Critical Defense 9mm

• Unaffected by thick and heavy clothing, including denim and leather.
  • Patented FTX bullet delivers superior controlled expansion and large, deep wound cavities over a wide range of velocities.
  • Clean burning and stable propellants reduce recoil in lightweight handguns, and perform consistently in all temperatures.
  • Minimal muzzle flash protects night vision.
  • Feeds reliably in all pistols.
  • Shiny silver nickel plating prevents corrosion, and is easily visible in low light situations.
  • Bullets are cannelured and crimped to avoid bullet setback.
  • Bullets are custom designed for individual loads.

If you want something more along the lines of Frangible ammo, I like the Air Freedom Rounds.

These rounds were designed to fragment upon

impact of light to medium barriers, and are excellent

for home defense. All rounds are designed to

penetrate heavy clothing, then fragment to create a

devastating wound channel.