revs

1911 frames

I'll use this post as an introduction too. My apology if I am posting in the wrong place.

I just got my FPID and P2P. Initially, I was not going to get a real gun and applied for FID just to make a statement: I do not like polititians using dead children to push their agendas.

However during the wait, I read up on firearms and really would like to build 1911 type pistol. I am mechanichally inclined (have an engineering degree) and usually enjoy making stuff more then using it.

So here is the question: is there place in NJ that sells inexpensive 1911 frames (Sarco/RIA or Foster Industries) or can get one for me? I understand that I can order directly and do FFL transfer, but it would add almost 40% to the price of the frame if we are talking Sarco.

Thanks.

Forgot: I am in NNJ, and willing to drive up to an hour, maybe a little bit more.

Fusion is pricier than Sarco. However, you get what you pay for. If you want less expensive, go with Foster. They are the parent company to Caspian and sell cosmetic blems that Caspian rejects. Or, give John at Remsport a shout. VERY reasonably priced frames that he manufactures and sells to other, high end companies.

Feel free to PM me for any info you might need. Would love to help.

C

Topher:

Christopher, thanks for the info and your offer to help.

302w:

What do you mean how much building? I'd love to do an 80% build, but since we are in NJ, I am going to get a frame, a slide, the other pieces, and try to put together a gun that works.

I have an engineering degree too!

So I knew enough to know that I would be better off buying a really well-made 1911, and then just taking it apart and putting it back together a few times. Which is what I did last week. Now I'm ready to start changing stuff... I'm starting with the grips, those look easy enough to swap out. After that, well, who knows. Great platform though.

I have an engineering license. I would recommend that you start with a complete Rock Island GI model and modify it to your liking if you're interested in tinkering. There's quite a bit involved in fitting some of the parts in a 1911.

One of the guys on here, I think Celraysoda, built a German P38 from parts.

Another thing you could do if you're interested in a project is to find a project gun on gunbroker.com or gunauction.com They come up quite frequently actually.

Thanks, it is a sound advice, but I am going to ignore it. The reason is psychology. It is a different feeling whether I am replacing parts in a working gun vs. building one from parts. Not quite rational, but that's just my brain. Plus, I do not expect to go shooting more then a couple of times a year as long as I am in NJ, so building the gun, fitting the parts together is the major fun part of this exercise.