Sign in to follow this  
greatgunstatenj

Making the rounds - visiting some local shops

I've been looking for some new toys and what not so I decided to spend yesterday hitting a few shops. Mixed results for sure. Before I left the house I called each place I planned to visit and asked if they had what I was looking for:

Heritage Guild Rahway: Yes, we have several of those. I make the 25 minute ride only to find out they have none of those. Geezus H. Well at least they had ammo and while they were rationing the pistol ammo they let me buy the amount of shotgun ammo I wanted. I was initially asked for my FID for the purchase  :facepalm:  This was corrected at the checkout though.

Heritage Guild Branchburg: I said I would never shop here after buying a Beretta Nano from them. They had it priced over list and wouldn't take anything off because it was a newly released gun. I had already made the drive and the next nearest place with it in stock was an hour away.

This time I call ahead and they have what I was looking for, used and new. The wait was kind of long because for some reason two of 3 people working the firearms counter disappeared while there were several people waiting. The remaining guy was actively selling a gun to someone. One came back after about 15 minutes, from Quickcheck... She then assisted me by handing me the shotgun I wanted to see. It was used, the barrel was spotless and the receiver was very clean, I said, "wow, has this ever been fired". With an attitude she replied, "It's used". No shit Sherlock. That doesn't mean it's been fired or possibly that barrel had never been used. The person I was with was like, "wtf is her problem?". Regardless, it was priced extremely high for a used shotgun even with the optics, which I didn't want. I told her I wasn't interested in the optics and asked if she would be willing to lower the price and remove them? She said no, as they only add $20-40 for optics on shotguns, regardless of the setup. I didn't even waste my time inquiring if that was standard procedure for a shotgun with a $700 scope sitting on it as well. I don't think I'm ever going back to this place. 

Hunterdon Fine Arms: Had something similar to what I wanted. The purveyor was one of the nicer guys I've met in terms of fire arms sales. It seems to me FFLs who operate on their own or out of their homes are usually much nicer than the people in the shops. Anyway, this shop is awesome if you want to see an African Safari come to NJ... visit HFA! If you want to chat about big game hunting or find a nice rifle/shotgun this is the spot. He has a great selection of fine hunting rifles and shotguns. It was a hike for me but definitely worth it.