Sign in to follow this  
nitrospaz9

Guns in the news

The feds give a lot of their old service weapons to third world countries PD's as aid - Central and South America in particular, to fight "the war on drugs".

DoD yes. Most LE agencies just destroy them.

I know of some seized new FA AKs that went to the JFK Center at Ft Bragg.

Most LE agencies destroy guns they or any other agency have no use for. I know of one Fed LE agency that used to sell their guns to FFLs. One of their guns was used by someone to commit suicide. Someone figured out where the gun came from and the press published "man uses gun from Fed agency to commit suicide". Agencies don't want bad press.

They closed a police department in PA recently and auctioned their guns. Shotguns, ARs, 700s, various handguns. Apparently police auctions happen now and then, but I doubt in places like Philly. Not sure I've heard of guns recovered in crimes being auctioned off, but they are required to return them to legal prior owners when the case is closed. Some state out west recently sold a bunch of guns through an FFL that had come to them through either crimes or a gun buyback, I forget.

Not NY, but some interesting related articles:

http://thegazette.com/2013/04/28/some-guns-used-in-iowa-crimes-sold-back-to-the-public/

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-05-31/news/ct-met-st-charles-gun-sales-20130531_1_gun-control-debate-firearms-gun-laws

These are both fairly recent (2013), but I could have swore I read some more articles about PD/states selling buy-back guns, several years ago. This what I got from a quick Google search, but I'm sure there is more out there.

Ha, "government hates competition" : http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2013/06/police_gun_buyback_program_a_s.html

Personally, I love hearing about people showing up at these government theft sessions   gun buy backs, and hanging out on the street, buying stuff before it gets in the door. How would such a scenario work in NJ? I'm guessing that buying more then one handgun would be a problem, since you wouldn't have any advance opportunity to apply for an exemption from OGAM, but what about long guns?

Would there be anything illegal (assuming you have a NJ FPID) about a citizen trying to buy from people in line, before they are able to turn them in?

What paperwork is required? COE?

Seeing as the COE does NOT have to be turned in, or even retained by the seller, do you REALLY have to fill one out for a long gun purchase?

Do you think having to do it would discourage people from selling to a stranger while waiting in line to hand their gun over to police?

Would the buyer be at risk for being arrested for an illegal transfer if they handled the firearm during a pre-purchase inspection?

They closed a police department in PA recently and auctioned their guns. Shotguns, ARs, 700s, various handguns. Apparently police auctions happen now and then, but I doubt in places like Philly. Not sure I've heard of guns recovered in crimes being auctioned off, but they are required to return them to legal prior owners when the case is closed. Some state out west recently sold a bunch of guns through an FFL that had come to them through either crimes or a gun buyback, I forget.

I believe Tennessee is one of the states that requires all firearms that are no longer needed by a PD (ones they owned them self or ones that were seized) to be sold and not destroyed.