Sign in to follow this  
Phillies

Possible to remove a perm attached muzzle break?

I have a permanently attached fake flash hider/muzzle break on an AR but it's just too loud. I would love to be able to replace it with something else. Could a gunsmith be able to remove it and replace it without damaging my rifle or costing a pretty penny?

On a rifle (>16") length barrel in .223, a muzzle brake is totally unnecessary.

Have Adco remove the offending brake and replace it with the proper diameter Schuster thread protector, and voila, a crowned muzzle.

Your buddies on the firing line with you might even pay to have it done!

and what are your thoughts on a "quieter" brake?  i started a thread about linear compenators last week that didnt get much traction...

It exists but rare...  It's called a fake flash hider. Guess it's not really a muzzle break though.  There was one guy who used to do make and install them. He had his own shop and website but sadly he died a few years in a motorcycle accident. His shop was in Florida. I have one on another AR and it sounds no louder than an AR with a real flash hider.

Adco can definitely do it, but any local gunsmith can probably do it for cheap. I've never done it myself, but did some research a few months ago when I was thinking of replacing one of my muzzle devices. If I had to do it, I'd probably try to do it myself.