Old Dog

Until the citizens of NJ can do this, no hope for gun laws

The answer is simple, and we can all do it, and have fun doing it.

Take people who have never shot before to the range. One of the major differences, that I've observed, is that in many pro-gun states, even those who do not own guns have at least handled and shot a firearm.

In NJ, most of the people I know have never shot, they all want to, but don't have anyone to take them.

Great point right there!  The vast majority of people who (think they) are against guns have never owned or even fired one.  They believe what the hardcore anti's, media, and politicians tell them without having any first hand knowledge to make an informed decision on their own.

So says the guy that left :) I'll take it under advisement, mac.

What I did is called voting with your feet. Our division of Federal and State laws was designed so that if people disagreed with the laws of any State, they were free to move to a State more to their liking as an alternative to financially supporting the government they disagreed with through their tax dollars. Perhaps if I saw improvement in NJ gun laws over 40 years I may have hung in there but it was and is, getting worse with time. So I made a personal sacrifice which meant working for 5 more years before I could retire, selling my home for a loss and uprooting my life, rather than continue to support those who are trying to take my guns away using my tax dollars.

The choices for me were either stop paying NJ taxes or move out of State to voice my displeasure and no longer contribute through my the various and substantial State taxes, to the efforts of the very people who opposed my gun rights. In my way of thinking, my contributions to pro gun groups was a drop in the bucket compared to what I gave to the State of NJ which was used to push anti gun legislation. Continuing to live my comfortable and profitable life in NJ and not pay State taxes was not an option because I did not want to spend my retirement in a prison cell. The only choice for me was to move. To stay and support a government I strongly disagree with was not an option, although it was the easier route.

So while we are both pro gun and both contribute to pro gun groups (I even personally finance my pro gun website with no help from ad revenues), I refuse to pay taxes to pay the salaries of those who want my guns while you rather stay and pay. The moral high ground does not belong to either of us but rather to those who stay and refuse to pay NJ taxes. They are the only ones that walk the walk.

I also ask that you consider which has a greater impact upon a State; a mass exodus of its tax payers or a growing population of people dutifully paying their various State taxes regardless of gun laws? The power of the vote is only good when used by a majority and NJ lacks a majority of pro gun voters. If you want to believe that things will change for the better, I applaud your optimism. I think that fighting the fight into old age is more than doing my share to change something that is moving towards more gun control rather than less and the small victories achieved are just that, small victories and not substantial changes.  I rather fight for pro gun rights from a place where I can finally enjoy them for whatever number of years I have left to live than to continue to support an anti gun State government and be deprived of my gun rights. Just the way I feel. Even old soldiers deserve to spend their remaining years in the rear after many years of front line duty. :) I paid my dues and now want to enjoy my rights. Whether I live in NJ or Ghana, it does not make my comments less true. 2+2 is always going to be four no matter where I live or what I do. :)