Sign in to follow this  
HBecwithFn7

Check your own NICS?

I think I already know the answer to this, but is there any way for a private citizen to view/access their own NICS entries, for verification purposes, or is it restricted to LE personnel only?  This, similar to a person viewing their own credit report(s)/history.  Can one do a FOIA request for it?

The objective being, to correct/challenge any potential errors (before they might lead to other problems), or, at least, to facilitate completion of FID and like docs and avoid any "discrepancies" when filing said docs.  Like I say, I'm pretty sure the answer is no (as that might also facilitate the "bad guys" as well), but there's no harm in asking... :)

I think you are referring to NCIC, and not NICS.

Gun Dealers use NICS which is the National Instant Criminal Background Check System..

Law Enforcement use NCIC which is the National Crime Information Center.

As to your question, :unknw:

I think you are referring to NCIC, and not NICS.

Gun Dealers use NICS which is the National Instant Criminal Background Check System..

Law Enforcement use NCIC which is the National Crime Information Center.

As to your question, :unknw:

No, I was referring to NICS, specifically.   I am aware of NCIC, having participated in their "Operation Identification" program for personal property many years ago.  I even remember my home town's NCIC number. Basically, you marked/engraved all your property with the code "NCIC-nnnnn-L4SS"  (where nnnnn was your municipality's NCIC number, and L4SS was the "Last 4 of your Soc. Sec."). You then registered that number with your local LE agency. Supposedly, it would help if any of your household property were ever stolen and subsequently recovered.  Didn't work in my case :unknw:

In that case, law enforcement does not use NICS. ONLY gun dealers can use it.

My apologies. Obviously, NICS gets its info primarily from NCIC and III (all maintained by the FBI).  I gather an LE agency (e.g. NJSP SBI) could go directly to NCIC for their checks.

I was simply curious as to what might turn up in a check, in the case of someone who has no criminal/psychiatric history whatsoever (no arrests, etc.), and is attempting their first FID/permit. Assuming there is "no information" at all, what response would NICS/NCIC return to the dealer or LE agency?

My apologies. Obviously, NICS gets its info primarily from NCIC and III (all maintained by the FBI).  I gather an LE agency (e.g. NJSP SBI) could go directly to NCIC for their checks.

I was simply curious as to what might turn up in a check, in the case of someone who has no criminal/psychiatric history whatsoever (no arrests, etc.), and is attempting their first FID/permit. Assuming there is "no information" at all, what response would NICS/NCIC return to the dealer or LE agency?

Actually, you can do a "criminal history check" on yourself.  http://www.njsp.org/about/serv_chrc.html

I don't think this would include non-criminal mental health issues, and/or civil commitments though.For that, you would probably have to check with each county you have lived in, individually, to find out what the process is to obtain your records, if any.

Actually, you can do a "criminal history check" on yourself. http://www.njsp.org/about/serv_chrc.html

I don't think this would include non-criminal mental health issues, and/or civil commitments though.For that, you would probably have to check with each county you have lived in, individually, to find out what the process is to obtain your records, if any.

Honestly if you have a restraining order out on you then you should know that. Same with a documented mental illness

Honestly if you have a restraining order out on you then you should know that. Same with a documented mental illness

I'm not as concerned with the "real truth" which, of course, I do know.  What does concern me is what the system "thinks" the truth is... and, upon which LE and FFLs must rely.  Excrement does happen! :) Any time a system relies on "human/manual data entry," there is always concern.