Sign in to follow this  
maintenanceguy

NJ Pawn and Gun

I've always heard that NJ does not allow pawn shops to buy and sell guns.

But the only restriction I can find in the law is a restriction on using firearms as collateral for a loan.   So I understand that you can't pawn a gun in NJ.   But is there really a restriction on a pawn shop also operating as a gun shop...as long as the shop pawns lawnmowers and drum sets and only buys and sells guns?

Well, the way the law is written, makes it sound like pawnbrokers are specifically prohibited from dealing in firearms AND, separately, no one can give a loan on a firearm.

2C:39-11. Pawnbrokers; loaning on firearms

a. Any pawnbroker who sells, offers to sell or to lend or to give away any weapon, destructive device or explosive is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

b. Any person who loans money, the security for which is any handgun, rifle or shotgun is guilty of a disorderly persons offense.

IANAL/YMMV

Well, the way the law is written, makes it sound like pawnbrokers are specifically prohibited from dealing in firearms AND, separately, no one can give a loan on a firearm.

2C:39-11. Pawnbrokers; loaning on firearms

a. Any pawnbroker who sells, offers to sell or to lend or to give away any weapon, destructive device or explosive is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

b. Any person who loans money, the security for which is any handgun, rifle or shotgun is guilty of a disorderly persons offense.

IANAL/YMMV

Thank you, exactly what I was looking for.

NJ is not the only state, PA prohibits pawn shops from dealing in firearms as well.......

I only could find (4) FFL02 Pawn Shops in PA. They must've been grandfathered.

FAT POCKET PAWN

MAIN LOAN OFFICE INC

KRAMERS SPORTING GOODS

837 PAWN LLC

Likely that this was typical NJ logic. "The poor people buy and sell guns at the pawn shops so let's outlaw that." So instead of InnerCity Ira taking his gun to the pawn shop he locates Carl on the Corner who deals in all sorts of goods for money and exchanges "things".

Right up there w NJ's slingshot/slungshot debacle.