Teky0101

NJ Handgun Permit

Hello Everyone,

I have a question regarding obtaining the NJ handgun permit. In the past I filled out the paperwork for the mental health, STS-33 and possibly one more application but I cannot remember which one. I heard that the process recently changed where you need to pay for your mental health background check online? Any help with this process would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Yup, instead of paying the Police Station to do the check, they have you do it online for a couple bucks more. Mt. Olive switched to that when we applied for my wifes FID. Just check with your local PD and see if they do new or old way.

The mental health form (SP-66) is manual and must be signed in the presence of the issuing authority. The background check consent (SB-212) is now online, and the issuing authority should give you their ID number to use when filing.

Note this well: the SP-66 CHANGED ON 10/27/2014. If you have a previous version of the form and submit it it will be rejected. I'm going to post about this.

Teky: you're welcome. Both the SP-66 and the application for permits to purchase a handgun are available online. They are PDF files that can be filled out on your computer and printed out in advance of submission to your PD. (Assuming you have a PC.) Don't sign them until you're in the presence of the officer taking in your application.

At my NJSP barracks today, the procedure was as before. I brought all the forms with my DL, FID and personal check to cover the number of permits ($2 each). After he reviewed them, he gave me a sheet with the ORI number for that barracks and the URL to submit the SB-212 online. My distinct impression is you should submit your application to the PD before you go to the website to start a background check. Your PD needs to expect it.

The forms are available here: http://www.njsp.org/info/forms.html#firearms

Good luck.