Sign in to follow this  
lhrocker

Prepping a new completed upper

I bought a complete Core 15 upper for my first AR build.  Now that i'm almost finished (just waiting for my fixed stock), I would like to prep it for it's first outing at the range.  When I got the upper, it was covered in  bubble wrap and the charging handle/bolt assembly was highly oiled.  So is the stuff that was on the rifle used to keep it from rusting while in the box, or is it lube and can be fired as is?

Since this is the first time I'm building, I just want to confirm is it needs to be cleaned and relubed or it can be assembled and fired.

Thanx,

Pete

They are covered in a preservative oil, Completely strip this oil off. I use Brake Clean.  It removes all oils leaving the anodized metal with a dry clean surface, Now  liberally lube with your favorite gun oil and have fun.  Make sure to clean the bore and chamber well.  Spray some cleaner down the gas tube.  Strip the bolt and clean it too!  That preservative is nasty and gums up everything if you don't get it off before firing.